has anybody else having a sales crash in oz ebay since the new year and experiencing no sales now

I sell on another id and have been a seller for 10 years and have experienced a huge downturn from $500 to $800 a week to now zero this week, buyers are scarce even watchers, ebay is useless in finding why, just says sellers are dependant on buyers-what if they have dissapeared like here? I am only giving it another few weeks to show something is happening beyond my control & will not have any money to pay ebay for my store and listers, any suggestions?

Message 1 of 187
Latest reply
186 REPLIES 186

has anybody else having a sales crash in oz ebay since the new year and experiencing no sales now

We have been in steady decline for more than 12 months now.
Today we have had a grand total of zero sales across our two eBay stores and also etsy and our website.
This is a new low point sales record for us. It's getting worse and we are often setting new low point records like this. By the end of this year we can see us closing down eBay first up and then trying to ramp up the other venues.

So I don't think the downturn is limited to eBay.
Message 2 of 187
Latest reply

I don't have a store anymore. There is no incentive to list or sell items on ebay anymore. Listings for auctions are even hidden! I've not sold anything since January - but had 2 unpaids for items under $10 from then until now. I sell to buy - so if I don't sell I don't buy! Simple economics! 

All I buy now are cheap items I want or by cash on local pickup. I agree with Clarry over the sliding downward spiral decline. 

Message 3 of 187
Latest reply

Same story here, Ebay has been in decline for a few years but it seems to be getting worse. This financial year will be a new record low, followed by my previous record low last year. It's hardly worth the time these days & if if keeps getting worse I can't see myself perservering for much longer.

Message 4 of 187
Latest reply

Yes, including the last three consecutive months being under $100 each. That's right, eBay didn't even get to take $10 from me every month.
Message 5 of 187
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:
We have been in steady decline for more than 12 months now.
Today we have had a grand total of zero sales across our two eBay stores and also etsy and our website.
This is a new low point sales record for us. It's getting worse and we are often setting new low point records like this. By the end of this year we can see us closing down eBay first up and then trying to ramp up the other venues.

So I don't think the downturn is limited to eBay.

Thanks, I was starting to get paranoid that it was just me or I was doing something wrong? even though I am sorry ro hear you have the same problem it would appear!  I like you have come to rely on selling on ebay and I would wager there are thousand like us feeling the downturn, nobody on ebay will admit it either-that they will suffer in the end from no sales after we all do what we will have to and end our long standing relationship with ebay is also their fate too and that includes being a power seller the last 2 years, they havnt removed that yet which I find strange considering my lst 3 months of figures were catostrophic to say the laest, up to that it was great had been great for 2 years, so they are aware, well no point in giving ones hard work away for zilch but I might start some sales and reduce stock so I at least get my cost back even if I make no profit it will be cutting my loss the best way I can have no ideas for the future yet though which is my concern?.

Unfortunatly an unstable worried world is starting to bite hard is my theory even though Cyclone Debbie would be part of the cause in OZ but it does not explain the months before she hit us and all this talk of a recession in 2017, housing crisis etc etc is changing peoples buying habits and their purses are closed shut!!?

Message 6 of 187
Latest reply

@heihachi_73 wrote:
Yes, including the last three consecutive months being under $100 each. That's right, eBay didn't even get to take $10 from me every month.

I am so sorry to hear others are having such a bad time with sales! auctions are worse than stores as they dont get anywhere near the bidders to realise any profit, I had 3 like this after I took my store down and ebay would have got a hell of a lot more than I had I not complained and my account was adjusted, I just did not have the $'s to pay them leaving me with the only option to close my long standing account and just give up earning a living like we all like to do as I was not going backwards after all my work and I have to live like us all.

Lets here from others as this is bigger than we all thought it appears so we can stop thinking it is us at least that's a bit of comfort that we are not responsible!

Lyn

Message 7 of 187
Latest reply

I agree it is bad & is widespread (not that eBay would admit it). I know other sellers local to me suffering the same fate. They do not use the discussion boards so they 'suffer in silence'. One seller I know has 17,000+ items listed and increases his quantity by 2000 items per year. Despite this he is selling 20% less each year (over the past 3 years since the apparent downturn in eBay began). He is barely raking in a basic wage, despite working hours greater than a regular job.

Message 8 of 187
Latest reply

I,m away 3-4 days per week at the moment and only putting minimal effort into ebay, but I have to say sales are holding up remarkebly well.. I have been away since Sunday evening and have come home tonight to around 30 items sold in the past 3 days. That is fairly reasonable for me as I am just a single part time seller.  It will take me a full day tommorow to pack them all as many need a bit of carefull packing.

I have two stores with around 1800 listings total, plus a non store account that uses the 40 monthly freebies, but is lucky to recieve 150 freebies most months, so this account runs around 170-180 listings most of the time. I sell collectables, classic car memorabilia  and "shed stuff" of interest to mature aged men. This segment of the market is still holding up quite well.

I can appreciate that sellers into some other market segments are struggling to maintain sales, with womans clothing in particular doing it tough at the moment. I suspect the current global instability with Trump in the U.S and Australian politicians acting like brainless boxing Kangaroos is denting confidence, along with high housing and utilities prices putting presure on disposible incomes. Unfortunately I dont see this improving anytime soon and things may actually get worse before they get better.........Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 187
Latest reply

Yup. Sales are way down. Spoke to a few folks I know who also have slow  / no sales.

I know one customer who wont use ebay anymore due to the large amounts of Chinese sellers making it hard to find anything in Australia (and ebays biased search ehngine does not help)   and I know of another seller who has been stung by thieves on ebay and ebay taking the side of the thieves. Ebay's loss as they were a BIG seller so they lost a BIG chunk of fees. They now have their own site and doing nice.

I wish someone would start something in Aust that people would use. I know of 3 other sites but they are all dead . Maybe with the downturn of feebay people might start wandering to these other sites.

Message 10 of 187
Latest reply