is this feedback extortion?

I sold an item on the 26th march, the buyer emailed me the next day ( never before the auction end) asking if they could 'pick up the item?', I emailed them back stating it was postage only as the listing stated.
They have just received the item in the mail and emailed me immediately stating the following :

First, I have received the item. Thank you for mailing it so promptly.

But second, there is a fault with the item that was not mentioned: the arm keeps coming off the central hub. Even without my cat playing with it, if I just leave it running the arm frequently comes off and has to be reattached.

I have already ordered replacement arms from the US, although including shipping, this cost me an additional USD $29.99.

I wanted to give you an opportunity to offer redress before leaving negative feedback.

Is this feedback extortion? Are they annoyed that I wouldn't let them pick the item up? Are they also asking me to refund them an extra $29.99 on top of not retuning the item for a full refund?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the item,
I tested it intensely before posting it well packaged/protected! I just googled the product and it turns out that it's a common issue that the arm can fall off at times.

The buyer only has a feedback score of 4,
I'm just a bit confused as to why they are not using the resolution centre if the issue is real!
Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: is this feedback extortion?

Excellent.Smiley LOL

Message 71 of 82
Latest reply

That was a fast review....negative gone already.Smiley Very Happy

Message 72 of 82
Latest reply

They only had to read these boards to work out seller was ok and buyer was the problem

Message 73 of 82
Latest reply

Good news indeed  Smiley Very Happy

Message 74 of 82
Latest reply

D..amb straight - well done monster - like I said - Aces, would buy off you any time !

http://smileyswelove.com/Content/smileys/smiley-emoticon-726-3d%20icons-emoticon.gif

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 75 of 82
Latest reply

Not only has the unfair neg been removed but the seller's DSRs (which this disgustingly petulant and vindictive buyer absolutely destroyed) have also now been restored to their former levels.

I don't often have occasion to say this, but well done, ebay.
Message 76 of 82
Latest reply

Always good when justice prevails.

Message 77 of 82
Latest reply

Particularly when it happens on ebay so infrequently...
Message 78 of 82
Latest reply

This is why I try to stay away from buyers who have a FB score of less than 30.  Something so simple can turn into a huge problem.  Reading the previous posts;

(1) you were offered a refund 3 TIMES!! Goodness, I know you want the item, but it's not up to the seller to fund your new purchase, and one from the US makes no sense at all.  Think about the nature of Ebay; ppl shop for better prices, why would a seller then want to pay a buyer a premium price for the same produce that you could as easily have bought from the retailer?

(2) others on this thread have written about the inherent design fault of the item.  It would appear that even if you do get a new item that it's likely to have the same operating faults.

Why you feel the need to be so painful is anyone's guess, buy why dont you stop with your pouting, take the refund, and agree that you've learned something, and move on?

Message 79 of 82
Latest reply

Hi there, I haven't read all the responses to your post so I apologise if I am repeating something which has already been posted:

The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) which applies to consumer transaction in trade or commerce and where the sale did not occur by way of action (“buy it now”), says that goods must be of acceptable quality. Where the goods are not of acceptable quality, consumers are entitled to a remedy which, depending on whether the problem is a major or minor, could be repair, replacement or a refund.

The ACL says that once a buyer has rejected the goods, they must return them or make them available for collection (this is the short version). The ACL is not clear who pays for the return however, the Australian regulators who administer the ACL, hold the view that the seller should cover the return postage. I would speculate that if the matter of the cost of return postage is taken to a court or a tribunal, the decision is likely to be in favour of the buyer.

What I am trying to say is that if any refund is due, it would be within the amount of the original transaction. The additional $30 paid by the buyer was their choice and they should have given the seller an option to remedy before purchasing the replacement part. If a buyer has incurred loss as a result of the failure of the goods they purchased, they could claim consequential loss through a court or a tribunal.

I hope that helps.

On a totally different note, is anyone else annoyed that as a seller I am unable to leave anything but positive or no feedback about buyers. I have had tons of instance where people failed to pay. Yeah, I did lodge a non-payment claim with eBay but so what? Yes, I can block them through my settings but how do other sellers know that they may be dealing with a “dodgy” buyer??? Isn’t feedback how we share intelligence? I am so tired of that and have been speaking to eBay about this without any resolution. Is anyone aware of a forum which discusses that very issue?

Cheers

Message 80 of 82
Latest reply