managed payments and personal information.

Is it true that to sign up for managed payments, eBay demands heaps of personal information, and also we have to once again prove who we are and upload bank account details etc,etc. All of this personal informtion is then sent to a third party which eBay is then not responsible for. I would like to hear from those who have already signed up, as to whether this is true or not.

Message 1 of 118
Latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

Re: managed payments and personal information.

Katistrophik posted this info 2 weeks ago.

See post # 69

Message 81 of 118
Latest reply

I went onto new payments around 2 months ago. On top of the details they already had about me, they wanted bank account details. I wasn't asked for a licence or passport, or anything else. 

Message 82 of 118
Latest reply

ekoeco
Community Member

Suddenly, after 10 years selling on eBay, they now want me to change payment method to bank - I have always used Paypal, then they say I must upload photo id - I put my drivers licence in but they have rejected that. The only solution is to put my passport in.  Who in their right mind would upload bank details, drivers licence, passport etc to a site that could get hacked.  Closed my shop. Bye Bye ebay - if you dont trust me after so long.

Message 83 of 118
Latest reply

Mine was rejected.  Issued by NSW government Australia. Beautiful clear colour copy uploaded.  Dates valid.

Message 84 of 118
Latest reply

I don't supply my driver licence details to anyone because of the risk of identity theft.  A recent ABC story on identity theft described driver licenses as "the golden ticket of ID theft" (link here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-06/drivers-licence-identity-theft-leaves-victims-exposed/1143966...).  If you give Ebay your Australian bank account details, you are effectively giving them 100 points of ID because you can't open a bank account without 100 points of ID.  So I don't understand the insistence on driver licences in addition to name, address, date of birth and bank account details.

I like Ebay and have been using it for about 15 years...but I think the risk of identity theft from having my driver licence number on Ebay's files (unnecessarily in my view) outweighs the benefits.

Message 85 of 118
Latest reply

You are right.  I just looked up the verification of identity requirements on AUSTRAC which says:

"You must document the customer identification procedures you use for different types of customers. The procedures you use must be based on the level of money laundering/terrorism financing risk that different customers pose.... For individual customers, this information includes, as a minimum requirement, their full name as well as either their residential address or date of birth. "

There is no legal requirement to collect a person's driver licence or passport number.

Message 86 of 118
Latest reply

Dishonest and misleading of ebay to describe this as an 'update' of details. This is nothing less than coercion (suspend capacity to sell until provided) to provide sensitive personal information that is not (as I understand it) required by law. Not happeneing!

Message 87 of 118
Latest reply

It is required by AUSTRAC. Look it up.

See ya. Don't slam the door.

Message 88 of 118
Latest reply

Youre right, its not as bad as it sounds, its worse. I need a passport, a drivers licence, my birth date, my full name, my address, my phone number. It used to be acceptable to provide an account statement for a utility payment, it was good enough for Commonwealth ID requirements and banks, so what has changed?

I will state, that the Internet in its origins of design, was intended to be an open architecture network to allow free flow of data, it was not designed to control data , its inherent design is its greatest flaw, it was never designed to be used as it currently is being used, there are consequences for using the internet as secure data control network.

Message 89 of 118
Latest reply

You don't actually seem to have graduated to primate.

It's due to Australian anti-money laundering laws. A Federal Government requirement. Read up on them, if that's within your capacity.

As far as your conspiracy theories go, refer my first point.

Message 90 of 118
Latest reply