return no reason other than doesn't suit

well this is a first after many mant great sales, I sold a leather jacket which is grey and aged to perfection as stated in listing and shown in pictures clearly.

customer wants to return as it doent suit her and she is not happy with that shade of grey, now I included $20 post and am asked to pay her a full refund and return post , since when can you return something as it doesnt suit.??

I will not sell on ebay if this is now how it works ๐Ÿ˜ž        

I would happily refund if damaged or not as described of course but her comment it doesnt suit me well thats not cool

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Personally I think wanting to return an item because it doesn't suit a person - when it comes to clothing - is perfectly valid.  Colours can look different on computer monitors for example.

I have a favourite seller and buy dresses and tops from them in two particular styles.  On one ocassion I ordered a dress in the same size and material, but the neckline was square instead of v line.  What a disaster.  It was too wide across the shoulders and it didn't suit me at all.  The seller provided dimensions but not the width of the square panel across the shoulders. The photos of it on the models (who had modelled other dresses in v line) looked fine.  But it wasn't....at least not on me.

Clothes are a much more personal subjective choice.

And would you pay return postage in this situation?

Yes, colours can look different, but that is not the fault of the seller.

Why should the seller be out of pocket just because a buyer changes their mind (except of course, if the seller allows returns). 

The alternative is to sell it yourself if you don't like it or it doesn't suit. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Personally I think wanting to return an item because it doesn't suit a person - when it comes to clothing - is perfectly valid. 

It's a valid reason for wanting to return, yes, but that doesn't oblige any seller to accept the return if they had no returns selected. (Retailers aren't even obliged to accept returns for these kinds of reasons, whether they sold online or in a store. Most do, as a courtesy, but they are within their legal rights to not offer refund, exchanges etc, for change of mind, wrong fit and so on). 

What a buyer wants to do, and what they have the right to do are two very different things. If a buyer wants to shop online for clothing, they need to keep in mind that sometimes, a garment won't meet their needs or expectations (this is no one's fault, unless the seller deliberately omitted important information, or the buyer deliberately neglected to avail themselves of important information).

If a buyer wants to be able to return clothing that simply doesn't suit, or fit, or look as good on them as it did on the model / mannequin etc, then they need to only buy from sellers who accept change of mind returns. 

Just a question.....

My understanding was sellers were not allowed to say no refunds or returns under Aust Consumer law.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Just a question.....

My understanding was sellers were not allowed to say no refunds or returns under Aust Consumer law.

I suggest you read up on the Australian Consumer Law, as your understanding is completely wrong.

A significant section states: You can return something if it doesn't do what you'd reasonably expect it to or it isn't of acceptable quality. However, stores don't have to take it back if you change your mind or if you find a better deal somewhere else.

You also need to understand the difference between a seller who is a business and one who is selling on ebay (or online elsewhere) as a hobby.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Have you told ebay it is a change of mind return......point them to the messages where she says it does not suit her etc.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

@theknottykiwi wrote:
Sheโ€™s saying not as described though as itโ€™s not the shade of grey she expected .. picture is true of colour .. so eBay chasing me to provide return and all post costs

Get eBay to call you back using the help and contact link.

Explain to them your buyer has opened a not as described case for a remorse reason, when you had no returns selected. Sometimes they will advise you to proceed with a change of mind return (that is, the buyer pays postage to return, but you're expected to issue a full refund of the item price), but in this case I would try to get them to close the case in your favour due to having no returns accepted, which they can also do, but whatever you do, don't rely on the automated case system, or escalate it to eBay for review through the dispute.

Whatever eBay tell you on the phone, particularly if it's something you want to be able to verify / prove at a later stage, get them to copy what is said to an email. 

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Do your listings state you'll refund for change of mind ? If you don't here are the ebay guidelines

You don't accept returns in your policy and the buyer changed their mind about a purchase

If you stated in your listing that you don't accept returns when a buyer changes their mind, you're not obliged to accept their return request. However, if you do, you'll be providing a great customer experience and encouraging the buyer to purchase from you in the future.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return โ€“ The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund. You can advise the buyer that they'll be responsible for covering return postage costs, or you can provide a label.

Decline the return โ€“ If you've stated in your listing that you don't accept returns, you can decline the return request.

How to decline a return

You can only decline a return if the buyer is returning the item because they changed their mind, and your return policy stated you don't accept returns. Here's how:

1. Go to your Returns dashboard - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select View return details beside the item.
  3. Select Decline the return and then Continue.
  4. You have the option of entering your reason for declining the request, but it won't be visible to the buyer.
  5. Select Decline return.
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Your listing stated no returns, so that covers change of mind.

Keep the messages for ebay to read in case she opens a case for INAD.

They can read her message to see it's actually a change of mind.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Thankyou thatโ€™s what I thought ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Personally I think wanting to return an item because it doesn't suit a person - when it comes to clothing - is perfectly valid.  Colours can look different on computer monitors for example.

I have a favourite seller and buy dresses and tops from them in two particular styles.  On one ocassion I ordered a dress in the same size and material, but the neckline was square instead of v line.  What a disaster.  It was too wide across the shoulders and it didn't suit me at all.  The seller provided dimensions but not the width of the square panel across the shoulders. The photos of it on the models (who had modelled other dresses in v line) looked fine.  But it wasn't....at least not on me.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

For used clothing no I donโ€™t think itโ€™s correct to demand a refund ... new from a shop maybe but Iโ€™m a mum just selling her clothes ... she saw the picture and bought it didnโ€™t ask any questions so she got what she bought , sorry if I sound mean but why should I be out of pocket ... ?? Image if everyone expected this on eBay ... I wind sell here if I have to , rather use Facebook !
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Why should the seller be out of pocket just because a buyer changes their mind (except of course, if the seller allows returns). 

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Personally I think wanting to return an item because it doesn't suit a person - when it comes to clothing - is perfectly valid. 

It's a valid reason for wanting to return, yes, but that doesn't oblige any seller to accept the return if they had no returns selected. (Retailers aren't even obliged to accept returns for these kinds of reasons, whether they sold online or in a store. Most do, as a courtesy, but they are within their legal rights to not offer refund, exchanges etc, for change of mind, wrong fit and so on). 

What a buyer wants to do, and what they have the right to do are two very different things. If a buyer wants to shop online for clothing, they need to keep in mind that sometimes, a garment won't meet their needs or expectations (this is no one's fault, unless the seller deliberately omitted important information, or the buyer deliberately neglected to avail themselves of important information).

If a buyer wants to be able to return clothing that simply doesn't suit, or fit, or look as good on them as it did on the model / mannequin etc, then they need to only buy from sellers who accept change of mind returns. 

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

@gumleaf_goodies wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I have paid the return postage for clothes that were not right, and sent them back. *shrugs*  I have also pointed out colour is not necessarily the only issue when buying clothes and sometimes a photo is not enough.

I am not a seller and never will be as due to mobility issues I don't get to post offices these days.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Just a question.....

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply