why do chinese sellers take priority over australian sellers on an australian ebay site

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

why do chinese sellers take priority over australian sellers on an australian ebay site

Good question.

Especially when the Chinese sellers are selling products that:

1. are not described correctly
  2. are forbidden in Australia
  3. are unlikely to meet quarantine requirements
  4. are likely to be weeds

The example I am referring to is in the supply of plant seeds, where there are sellers listing absurd things that clearly do not exist.  There is not such thing as a blue strawberry, purple banana, rainbow coloured rose, yet these fictional items are listed by opportunists and purchased by unsuspecting buyers.

Surprised to see eBay allows this sort of conduct.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

I detect a measure of  specificity.

I would posit that nobody in their right mind would try to buy anything organic from OS sellers.

Which has nothing to do with the OP's question.

The answer to which is that eBay Australia's algorithm allegedly bulks up listings if there are insufficient domestic listings. Ha ha. Plus if a seller registers on eBay.au then, regardless of item location, their listings will show on default eBay.au only searches.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

It's true, depending on what one's looking for, that there will be a million Chinese listings at the top, on the default "best match".

As a buyer, it irks me.

So I get round it by selecting in Australia only on the left hand side, and setting a minimum cost of 5$ to weed out the 4.99$ and below items from China.

This doesn't rule out the false location sellers, but cuts down on the dross considerably.

I can see that sellers must hate it, but I am doing what I can to get to the local listings 🙂

I emailed eBay a year ago or so to ask for country-specific worldwide search; so you can have Australia, U.K., for example without China...no response as you can imagine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

i do that to pick ebay aust only so i can buy from local sellers

cause im looking for stuff that i want quickly

i have purchased from hong kong and china 3 times was happy with what i got and the price

but i mostly want to buy in australia

i would also like to see ebay put a thing where i can choose sellers with only an above a certain % rating feedback

i know thats being fussy but thats what i would like lol

tara

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

sounds reasonable Tara, but I don't see eBay doing that; I think having a seller blocking system for buyers would be a good idea, so poorly performing sellers wouldn't be in the results at all if you voluntarily set it up by checking a box 🙂

So just like sellers, who can block poorly behaving buyers based on certain criteria.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

ytwo000
Community Member

i would say its becaue they are huge sellers making lots for ebay so they are protected and looked after..

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

fotgot to say....i bought a loose gemstone from a chinese seller and after 6 weeks (yep,6weeks) i got it..this gemstone looked absolutely like nothing the photo showed so i left a neg stating "not as described"....well this seller somehow got this feedback removed within a day...they had 100,000 odd feedbacks with 100% positive to their name...why???well its because ebay look after them is what i recon.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

/ranton

We get the same flood of chinese sellers in our particular category and, like many, detest it also.

We give far quicker delivery and much better service but still we can see from buyer FB that they are buying from these OS sellers.

As far as I am concerned the default search should be AUSTRALIA ONLY so they would be excluded from search results unless a buyer wishes to change the setting themselves to include them. After all we are ebay Australia aren't we.

There is already enough money going out of Australia via ebay and PayPal. Ever noticed that your fees go to an overseas entity. Something like EBAY.AG. There is no GST paid on those fees. Govt is missing out on lots of $$$ in GST here.

/rantoff

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Why not?

Most Australian sellers are buying the China items in larger amounts marking up 300-400 % and selling to Australians,

Still the same quality problems as buying direct for quarter the price.

At least we know its a china product, not a china product pretending to be australian made!

BTW we have found considerably more genuine and honest China sellers than Aus sellers.

Sorry but that a fact

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply