Manners do matter! - Why are some sellers so abrupt & rude in messages?

This could go either on the seller or buyer board; But as I was the buyer I'll put it here.

Anyway; Fri night  I placed a bid on an item. I haven't really been on ebay since then (& have no mobile phone for the instant messaging stuff)

Today I logged in to get what I feel is a rude & abrupt message saying "Do you want this item? Pay by COB 5/6 or I will relist it" No Please; Hello; Kind regards, best wishes, have a great weekend, Thanks for your purchase, or whatever that I put in my messages to buyers.

Nothing that would entice me to buy more from this seller! - My first thought was actually 1 star for communication! I did pay as soon as I logged on to my computer mail (& then read that message on ebay & had second thoughts about the seller) Please bear in mind that this occured over this weekend & whilst I wasn't away; I was worried about my elderly Dad who was in hospital. (He's fine now!) Not everyone makes ebay their main priority on weekends!

More Importantly - Manners Do Matter! - Please when selling or buying treat the person as you would like to be treated & speak to them in messages as if you were face to face. Sometimes text messages come across as impolite; & then there is the whole thing of 4 or more days to pay by Ebay's rules! 

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Don't worry about it, some people are special.

Look at that house reno program, some special people there too.Smiley Wink

Always going to be a few out there whom haven't learnt the basics.

image host
Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

I've struck a few too - mostly from America.

As a buyer I love being told if I don't contact them within 1 day or pay within 2 days clearly I have no intention of ever paying so I'm a crook or a time waster...or a few more choice options barely printable.

However I've also had a good laugh at sellers when they've spelt it out in no uncertain terms that they don't ship overseas (apparently we're all a dodgy lot of rip off buyers..to be danmed for all time), but they don't realise that somewhere down the track eBay has opted them into the GSP and their listings are now going out to the Big Wide Scary World.  Classic.

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

Hi Kopes; I haven't watched the reno program I think you mean; But my daughter has seen some of it - her thoughts were contestants without people skills providing the drama for the show!

My thoughts are being polite & giving someone a smile costs nothing! So why not do it whenever you have the chance?

I've bought from some lovely Americans in the past Zana  without GSP though!

Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

Redders, I blame phones for this, to some extent.

Messaging via phone has its place but if people are going to use it for email type correspondence, they need to make an extra effort.

It's much easier (in my opinion) on a bigger screen. On a phone, people seem to keep it as brief as possible.

To be honest though, this seller should not have sent any message at all till right before your 4 day window expired. Even then, he didn't really have to send a message, just open an unpaid item case if it got that far. (which it would not have as you obviously paid before then).

Problem is, he probably now thinks his message worked.

Don't worry too much, you may never end up buying from him again anyway and people's communication skills do vary. Maybe he has had a bad run with buyers not paying or something.

Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

Springy, Redders' auction was on Friday night.   Hardly 4 days.

The man's an imbecile.    Not a nice seller at all IMO

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

I won an auction a few years ago and had a few of his other items on my watch list that were ending the next night. Within minutes of me winning the auction I got a message demanding I make immediate payment as he had to pay for something he'd bought or they'd close an unpaid dispute on him. He was quite rude about it, no please, thank you, hello, goodbye, a bit like your seller. With that, I removed the other items from my watch list and paid for it about 10 minutes before he could open an UPI on me.

If he'd been nice about it and explained the situation I probably would have obliged and asked him to hold off posting as I was bidding on other items, but when he threw the attitude at me, it got my back up.

Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

tippy, shoulda waited 10 mins before the UIC could be closed. Smiley LOL

image host
Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

tippy, shoulda waited 10 mins before the UIC could be closed. Smiley LOL

That is exactly what I dooiif a seller badgers me for payment before I have received the ebay reminder after 2 days. I gentle, well worded reminder on day 3 (which is what I send) is fine but a smallest hint of pay within X hours or else and it is payment at the 11th hour of the 8th day.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

I don't mind that some sellers are rude; it makes my polite correspondence with my buyers seem much better in comparison! 😄

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 41
Latest reply