Post office retuned to sender, Seller and eBay won’t refund!!

I purchased an item, asked seller to put delivery instructions on parcel, because I work away from home, I have a parcel delivery box, works perfectly for years, received hundreds of parcels this way never had issues, now I’ve had my first issue,

The seller ignores my delivery instructions and sends it requesting signature, the post office return to sender due to I was unable to collect it.

The issue I’m having is the seller has my item, won’t resend it with delivery instructions, so I completed a dispute, eBay won’t refund because the seller provides tracking, so I appealed it, eBay still won’t do anything

So now I have no item, no refund, no nothing, and it seems I have been ripped off!?

What can I do now?

Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@melbourneclearancewrote:

"The seller would never know there was no signature from the buyer "

The seller will know as soon as he/she asks AP for it. Some sellers request these proofs of signature from AP as soon as their parcels are delivered as a part of their routine.

There'll be a signature from someone at the PO who delivers it.  

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

That's my point. You claimed above that the seller won't even know whether someone signed for the parcel. If the seller pays for a signature he will get a signature when he requests it from AP.

Whether the signature is from the buyer or from AP is irrelevant. It will be on the scan that AP sends to the seller. If it were an AP employee who signed it or just dropped it somewhere around the house, it would say so. But the seller will know. That's what you pay extra for.

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

How many sellers ask for a copy of the signature to be sent to them?  That is an extra service that has to be paid for over and above the SOD signature that is only sent to the seller if there is a query as to the whereabouts of the parcel.   It is not really necessary for any ebay/paypal dispute so why would a seller bother paying out of their own pocket.

The waiver is not really necessary for Safe Drop these days as AP will now leave SOD parcels if there is somewhere safe to leave it at the address.   If there is a query about it AP should be able to provide a photograph of the parcel which should show the location where it has been dropped.   This is also used for parcel lockers in lieu of a signature.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

I have asked AP for proof of signature before, they did not charge me anything.

You are forgetting the otherwise untracked large letters with value items. I send a lot of items in large envelopes, when the items are over a certain value that I deem too risky to send untracked, I chuck in $4 for them to be registered and tracked. ($4 is the price to register and track letters)

That $4 is always out of my pocket. It is usually fine because of the multiple "Free Shipping" items the buyer has bought. Or even if the buyer has not bought multiple items and I deem that the buyer is high risk, then I would register it.

EDIT: Register means Signature on Delivery for letters, it also gives you a tracking number.

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

I assume you mean you have asked for a copy of the signature due to a dispute of some sort.   That is part of the service paid for when you request SOD but it is not automatically sent to you.

There is a paid for service where you are automatically sent a copy of the signature.  It is quite expensive I believe ( I have not used it for many years).

I can't believe a seller would automatically use the extra servie when they could get a copy of the signature if it is necessary for a dispute.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

I'd like to point out that I've had a couple of parcels delivered lately that were SOD,

but were left at the door.  

One was Auspost  and the other was a courier.  Neither was an expensive item.

SOD wasn't requested.

So starting to think SOD doesn't mean anything anymore.   shrug.gif

I asked my local PO if they can retrieve the signature for international mail. They said they could not, so it is totally pointless having Sig. on delivery for international mail. . 

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

@lyndal1838wrote:

I assume you mean you have asked for a copy of the signature due to a dispute of some sort.   That is part of the service paid for when you request SOD but it is not automatically sent to you.

There is a paid for service where you are automatically sent a copy of the signature.  It is quite expensive I believe ( I have not used it for many years).

I can't believe a seller would automatically use the extra servie when they could get a copy of the signature if it is necessary for a dispute.

Yes, I meant the one where they provide a copy after an enquiry. I didn't know of the one where they automatically provide a copy. I wouldn't pay for it anyway even if I did. I would even skip the signature if AP had a cheaper tracking system for large letters.

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply