Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

Hi all,

Long  time seller and buyer but first time on the boards. 🙂

I won an auction for an item on the 30th May. I paid for the item via Paypal immediately, but the following day the money was refunded. I contacted the seller and he informed me he prefered Direct Deposit (which he did not state in the listing). So, I paid via Direct Deposit. 2 weeks later and I have received nothing, and when questioned the seller responds with "Sorry. My wife is sick. Will send ASAP". But I have received nothing. 

So, I tried opening some kind of Ebay dispute. But through MyEbay, using the option to report that "I didn't receive (the item)", all that results is a page stating:

"PayPal reports that a case shouldn't be opened: We're sorry there's an issue with this purchase. Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller".

Obviously, I can't go through Paypal as the payment was refunded. I have all the Direct Deposit details for my payment, but where can I launch a dispute via Ebay? Could anyone provide a link? 

Thanks so much for any help. 🙂

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Seller sold me item; then would only accept Direct Deposit; I paid; nothing sent; can't dispute?

Yes, I have noticed too. I don't think they did in the other thread he had started last week either. Maybe they want to help him a bit, as it is tough without eBay or PayPal protection. I think eventually he will get back his money, but it will be a lot of stress. As I said in the ohter thread he had started, there are a lot of lovely items on eBay.de that can only be paid by direct deposit, but no, I don't think I will ever pay by direct deposit. Far too risky.

I think looking at his fb we would have been able to find out anyway who the seller is, as Richy mentioned what happened very clearly.

By the way, I don't know for sure, but I have read somewhere, maybe here, that mentioning a PayPal dispute in the fb is against the rules. So isn't threatening with legal action like the seller did against the rules too?

Message 31 of 47
Latest reply

I had sent him a message before i used the buy it now option, if he could possibly post it ,if i payed for postage,to which he agreed.He had cancelled previous sales with buyers trying to pay with paypal and when i asked why,he complained about their fees.It was only when he cancelled the Ebay Listing to save Ebay fees that was done only when the direct deposit was cleared that i became very concerned.I thought,wow,i have never seen a seller do this and if he was willing to rip Ebay off,the chances are pretty good he may do the same to me.As it turned out,i my concerns were justified.He was initially very easy to contact,i had looked his business up on the net and even spoke to Dennis on the phone.I did all my research to make sure the guy was legit and was who he said he was before making the deposit.He seemed very pleasant over the phone but when the direct deposit went through,all communication stopped..I have done many direct deposits over the years and this is a first for me.I had told Dennis that i borrowed the money off an Uncle and being on a disability pension it would literally take years to pay back the money,but i was so looking forward to receiving the purchaseThis makes his conduct even worse,stealing from someone with about $30 in their bank account.Ths guy should be in prison............Maybe i have been lucky in the past,but my trust in people has now taken a huge setback.All i can do now is spread the word because it is only a matter of time before he does the same thing to another.All he has got to do is change his name and address and make another account and ebay tell me they do not even link bank accounts when sellers make new accounts.Ebay should have it in large lettering.DO NOT PAY BY DIRECT DEPOSIT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES...EBAY WILL NOT HELP IF YOU GET SCAMMED AND YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN...Yup,a very expensive lesson,a theif stealing $2115 is gutwrenching to say the least.                                   Good luck to all..Richy Norman

Message 32 of 47
Latest reply

Yes,he has since closed his facebook accounts.He is sneaky,that's for sure.I will keep chasing this guy to my last breath,and did message him stating.. .."you mark my words,this will be the hardest $2,115 you ever earned."                                                                                                                         Cheers Richy Norman.

Message 33 of 47
Latest reply

That is certainly on the list.Thanks,your thoughts are appreciated.                                                                                                                        Cheers richy Norman.

Message 34 of 47
Latest reply

You haven't said if you've reported him to ACORN.

You can get his address and phone number from ebay, as well.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=9

For that sort of money, I'd be on his doorstep giving him grief, but that's just me.

Message 35 of 47
Latest reply

I too have just encountered this steaming pile of dog dirt called dennis bradley. He was on gumtree selling camera gear under "den". I direct depost $2070 on the 22nd aug into his WA bank and have recieved nothing. I'm in melb. He stopped responding to all my texts as soon as he was paid.  After 24days of nothing i texted i was going to repot him to the police. Two days later he texts that he has posted it weeks ago but probalby threw the docket away. 

I go to the police and they say take it to ACON and that it is a civil matter. Talk about why these scum con artist like 'den' exist, -is because they know how the police will react and that the court system cost alone will stop anyone from making them pay. 

I am on a dissability pension too and it has consumed my thoughts day and night because deep down i fear nothing will happen. 

When i did a search and found he was a well established photographer i could not believe it. And when i found the comments on his web page abouth his thieving habits and your posts here i had to let you know, that i'm in the same boat too. I won't let him get away with, I will think of something. You loose faith in the legal system when things like this happen. Legal aid is probably the worst place to go for help. Their main operation is to offer help to those that are facing a jail term from a upcomming case or charge. They always tell you to put it down to experience and drop it. I remember a barrister telling me (after i did not drop it) that they are very ill equipped to gauge if someone has a strong case because of their lack of expertise in a specific law or it's actual practice in court. I am going to do all i can and and use your experience to add to my case. Hope we can get back what is ours. 

Message 36 of 47
Latest reply

And is it the same guy? 

And have you reported him to ACORN like the local police told you to?

If  no-one reports him for cyber theft, then he can keep doing it and getting away with it.

Report him now, so he can be investigated, and finally charged, if what you say is true.

https://report.acorn.gov.au/

Message 37 of 47
Latest reply

I understand it is not for everyone to tell their story on national TV (I for once would be too shy), but if you two don't mind you could really go to A Current Affair. And as Dennis likes cameras, let's see if he likes theirs chasing him.

Message 38 of 47
Latest reply

The local police gave you the right information....report it to ACORN.

There is no point in complaining that the police do not do anything if you do not report it to the correct branch of the police.

It will not cost you anything and in fact may see the scammer refund your money if he knows the police are onto him.

Surely it is better to be doing something than just whinging that you have been ripped off.

Message 39 of 47
Latest reply

ha ha...i like the vision i had of that after reading it. He offers video work on his web site and brags about the pro drone he uses for aerial shots. I could vision drones fron 'ACA' & 'Sunday Night' hounding him when he goes to the letterbox to bring the paper in. Just like Hitchcock's 'the birds"... comming in for a low swoop causing him to scramble and trip into the rose bushes. Ahh! the beauty of a mans mind when driven to distraction.

Message 40 of 47
Latest reply