combined postage

I won two auctions from the one seller for similar items and both listed with 3kg satchel post of $14.90.  At checkout I requested a total with combined postage.  I know, I should have asked BEFORE I bid, but presumed (I know!) it would be no problem.  The postage turns out more expensive than the total for the 2 items I purchased.

I was almonst positive they would both fit into a 5kg satchel and save myself a bit of money.  I did not receive a response from seller, but both items were combined in the one invoice, but with two lots of postage. I did not receive a response to my request from the seller so I emailed seller again about the "combined" post price, only to be told "Sorry I don't combine postage".  Ok, no problem, it must be their system or whatever.  Only I now see in my Purchases that the items have been sent together in the one 5kg satchel.  

If a seller goes to post their items and sees they are from the one buyer and for delivery to the same address, I don't mind them combining into one satchel and them having a little win on the postage $.  However, is it petty of me to fthink the seller has done the wrong thing when combined postage was asked for; and what they have sent but not discounted for?  I feel a bit wronged by being potentially overcharged about $13 on postage.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: combined postage

imastawka
Honored Contributor

self edited..........sorry

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

combined post, does not automatically mean DISCOUNT.  Postage and handling does not only equate to the AP stamp value.

you and I have no idea what expenses the seller incurrs.

PS:  Eg:  I am about to do a 60km round trip to post office, takes about an hour out of my day as well.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Gosh, this scenario is *strikingly* similar to a couple of others being discussed in another topic here. Quite the coincidence!

Maybe have a read through there, and then jump on to eBay chat to seek official clarification.  At the end of the day, a seller is obliged to provide the postal services charged for - if they haven't, you're within your rights to seek a refund on those you've paid for but not been provided.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

ok, I understand that, I am a seller as well.  But if I had bought the one item from them, not two, it would still entail the same trip to the post office, same amount of time and effort to pack two seperate orders.  And the post on the listing had some loading of about $2 per post already.  So approx $4 loading on 2 x 3kg satchels - if one 5kg satchel + $4 loading for extras = approx $20 and given me a $10 DISCOUNT for combined post.  So they could have made the same amount of $$ handling. I don't expect a seller to have to stick to the actual  AP "stamp" price of the postage.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

thanks for the response.  I have had a read of that discussion as well.  ta.  

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

When you send a combined invoice, the charge states  postage and handling,  so maybe the question should be are the sellers handling charges reasonable and/or justified, and we can never know what any individual sellers costs are.

I know of one company that requires all packing to be processed and verified by 2 persons and conducted under full cctv recording,

purely to combat online fraud.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

actually my question was they would not COMBINE post re $$ but has pysically combined them after all.  They have put both items into the one satchel but charged me for the 2 x 3kg satchels on the listing.  I accepted their response that they would not combine postage and paid immediatly.  The dilemma arrives because the seller HAS combined the postage pysically into ONE x 5kg satchel.

so the seller has seen the advantage in sending the two purchases as one, but is charging as if they are sending as two parcels.  And as I stated above, I have no problem paying for packaging and handling.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

@1800signshop wrote:

actually my question was they would not COMBINE post re $$ but has pysically combined them after all.  They have put both items into the one satchel but charged me for the 2 x 3kg satchels on the listing.  I accepted their response that they would not combine postage and paid immediatly.  The dilemma arrives because the seller HAS combined the postage pysically into ONE x 5kg satchel.

so the seller has seen the advantage in sending the two purchases as one, but is charging as if they are sending as two parcels.  And as I stated above, I have no problem paying for packaging and handling.

My last reply was to tazzie.

Well now you have a problem,  you have paid for 2 x 3kg satchels  but are going to get 0 x 3kg satchels delivered.

5kg satchel, most charge about $20.00  which is cost plus  the ebay fees on postage  and then any handling fees on top.

Maybe the seller meant that they do not offer a discount for combined post, who knows.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

@1800signshop wrote:

ok, I understand that, I am a seller as well.  But if I had bought the one item from them, not two, it would still entail the same trip to the post office, same amount of time and effort to pack two seperate orders.  And the post on the listing had some loading of about $2 per post already.  So approx $4 loading on 2 x 3kg satchels - if one 5kg satchel + $4 loading for extras = approx $20 and given me a $10 DISCOUNT for combined post.  So they could have made the same amount of $$ handling. I don't expect a seller to have to stick to the actual  AP "stamp" price of the postage.

Standard AP satchels in singles are $14.55, so a loading of  a whole 45c, not $2. And the difference between 2 x 3kg @ $14.90 and 1 x 5kg satchel @ $17.65 is $12.15, so a $10 discount would leave $2.15 handling. And the fees on the $10.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply