first the greyhounds now the horses

Mass slaughter and abuse of racehorses undermines industry's commitment to animal welfare

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welf...

really makes me wonder about the mentality of those running the 'industry' when they all saw the fallout from the exposure of the greyhound 'industry' and yet did nothing to get their own garden in order!

i couldnt watch after a few minutes of seeing live horses being slaughtered, how have we allowed this?

how have we believed they were finding loving homes for all the 'wastage' from this 'industry' when we knew how many horses were being born every year to feed this 'industry' with new blood?

not after we were exposed to what was happening in the greyhound industry.

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: first the greyhounds now the horses

Message 41 of 128
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Have you ever had any contact with the horse industry other than what you read in the papers and see on the TV?

There is a lot more to it than just the racing industry.....Hacking and show horses, jumping, eventing, pony club.

My daughter has also worked as a stable hand and rider for Gai Waterhouse and has seen what goes on behind the scenes.....horses are treated very well or the worker would be out on their ear very quickly.

Yeah, Darren Weir treated his hoses very well     ...  NOT!

Make that horses

Darren Weir is only one of many thousands of horse trainers in this country.   If he is the only one to be caught out and prosecuted I would suggest the industry is not as bad as it's detractors are trying to make out.

I believe you will find that any sport, whether it involves animals or not, will have trainers who do the wrong thing.

Or could it be that so far he is the only one to be caught?   ..... I dont believe for moment that he is the only one doing this kinda horrible, cruel practice

If you like/follow horse racing, good on ya, I dont, never have, never will    .....

Message 42 of 128
Latest reply

I'm not going any further with this.

We have had horses for the past 25 odd years.

What I have seen - of owners - riders - has kind of soured the whole.

Don't even start me on ' Endurance ' - sheesh.

One bloke - gone over a small cliff  - because they usually begin before daybreak - but do wear the cute little light on their helmet - landed in a quarry - full of rusty machinery - he was OK - the horse - well - broken back.

He actually asked others to hold the horses head under the water - his horse - again sheesh.

Never went again.

Having said that - on the whole - horse owners - are a breed apart - too many are not ' whisperers '.

They like any other pet - are reliant on us - to do the right thing. 

Enough.

Message 43 of 128
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

As mentioned the racing industry is worth - 10s of 100s of millions.

What is stopping the industry employing Vets to euthanise at abattoirs in an humane manner.

What happens after - the horse doesn't care.

Just one other interesting little nugget to add to the converstation. There is a very good reason horses are not euthanised with a sedative type injection. The sedative / euthanisia drug stays in the animals system after the animal dies until decomposition has occured. If the horses where injected, there would be a small problem with then using the carcase to feed the countries hungry pooches. All of the pooches would also die.....Smiley Surprised

SOOOO because we all want to feed our best friends, doggy cubes or canned mush, horses are killed in the manner they are ( which is the most humane anyway ) If people are genuinely angry about this, for once all of the power resides in the eternally outraged and keyboard warriors hands. Euthanise your pet dogs, never replace them, refuse to buy the end product and the industry will have to close down.

Spoiler
NO......... I didnt think so..........Man Frustrated
Spoiler
P.S I,m running for the honour of most popular forum poster this month......... votes anyone  ???......Smiley Happy
Message 46 of 128
Latest reply

P.S I,m running for the honour of most popular forum poster this month......... votes anyone  ???......Smiley Happy

Oh but that would require reading them.   Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 128
Latest reply

Close the mother bleeping horse racing industry down and stop making excuses for the abusers and their supporters, instead of using the disgusting,twisted logic people should put their pets down to stop it

BLOODY SICK

BLOODY DISGUSTING

So long all, I am not going to be part of a community where something like this is made a joke of and other people blamed for what these **bleep**s choose to do 

Message 48 of 128
Latest reply

(((Hug))) for bear...

Thinks... would that make it a bear hug? ha ha.

If you're not coming back, thank you for having been a part of this wonderful experience.

And if you are coming back, thank you for being a part of this wonderful experience.

🙂

Message 49 of 128
Latest reply

Breaks my heart for the animal slavery, Cham, but I get your logic.

Message 50 of 128
Latest reply