40 free listings should be increased for sellers without a store

Why can't ebay increase the amount to 250 or so for sellers without a store? Especially now that the other promos are pretty much gone.

ebay will still be making money with the fvf and small sellers can at least list a decent amount of items without having to open a store.

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Re: 40 free listings should be increased for sellers without a store

You should,though I doubt you would have room.

Message 31 of 106
Latest reply

@pupeteo wrote:

Your jealousy is laughable. I obviously don't think I should pay fees because I am so 'speshul',us self entitles people are like that. But please keep telling yourselves how super wonderful you are.

This has been fun though.

OK I'll take the bait.......What am I supposed to be jealous of ?

Spoiler
This might be fun......Man Wink
Message 32 of 106
Latest reply

"This might be fun..."

Why does the thought of crutching sheep come to mind Chamo ???     true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 33 of 106
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

"This might be fun..."

Or marking them........

Message 34 of 106
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

"This might be fun..."

We used to have races against each other for the highest tally. The poor shed hands and " pen er uppers " used to get so worn out trying to keep up that occasionally they had to call in reinforcements for the afternoon. Three shearers crutching over 100 per run each it was actually great fun..... Much better than a workout at the gym and we even got paid for it............Man Happy 

Message 35 of 106
Latest reply

@pupeteo wrote:

Why can't ebay increase the amount to 250 or so for sellers without a store? Especially now that the other promos are pretty much gone.

ebay will still be making money with the fvf and small sellers can at least list a decent amount of items without having to open a store.

There is no reason why they can't, but I can think of a lot of reasons why they wouldn't.

You have to look at the situation from a much broader perspective to see what may (or may not) motivate ebay to do something, and whether that something would be in their best interest, and / or in line with their current business model and goals - 250 free listings a month would be great for you, and many other sellers, I'm sure, but would it be great for the site? eBay came up with the 40-free number as the basic quantity a few years ago now (it used to be 30, and you'd lose access to them if you reached Power Seller level, which was only $1k sales in a year), but my point is they have had a pretty good length of time to figure out what the sweet spot is between basic free listings, promos and the incentives to open a store instead. 

You do mention that ebay would still make money off the FVF, but they make less money off the FVF from sellers who have stores, so why have store packages at all if it would be in eBay's best interest to just give everyone free listings? 

If eBay only make money when something sells, and sellers have no incentive to curate their stuff and try to list items with good sell-through rates because it's not costing them anything but time, then you end up with millions of stagnant listings on the site that aren't doing anyone any good.

And I'm not saying you personally would list junk on the site for years on end, just because you could, I'm saying that there would be plenty of sellers who would, and ebay has to think about that sort of thing when they decide what to offer its members as a bonus. 

eBay might even have data that suggests sellers who take advantage of free listing offers and build up a good catalogue of items are more likely to end up opening a store and continue building inventory, and maybe conduct things less casually than those who don't want to operate a store - and again, this is not a suggestion that you yourself do not operate seriously and professionally, it's more a suggestion that those who will open a store might be more likely to accept returns, offer premium services, guaranteed delivery, and accept shrinkage etc, and all those other things that eBay likes....because ebay don't look at you as an individual, or any other seller, and go "ok, Joe Bloggs would really benefit from this strategy", they look at data and stats collected from the accounts of millions of sellers, and ask themselves how best to use it to their own advantage. 

Message 36 of 106
Latest reply

@pupeteo wrote:

What's the magic in the number 250, just as a matter of interest?

Message 37 of 106
Latest reply

Classic eBay employee post right there DG!!!

roflmao.gif

extremely-happy-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

eating popcorn.gif

Message 38 of 106
Latest reply

shifty dog

ninja disappear

Message 39 of 106
Latest reply

Thank you for being the ONLY person to bother giving a straight decent answer.

Message 40 of 106
Latest reply