Account suspension threats from eBay over message from a buyer who wishes to inspect before buying.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences recently, to be honest I am a little disappointed with eBay as I believe someone has been reading my "my messages" with the intent of catching me out as a fee avoider (ironic since eBay collect around $10k in eBay fees from me annually and have done so over the past 15 years).

I received a message stating that I had been caught trying to avoid fees and must change my behaviour within 3 days or face discliplinary action.

May 24th buyer sends me a message wanting to make a time to inspect a very expesive item before bidding on it.  I respond with the times our warehouse is open for inspections,

eBay must be trawling my inbox (perhaps flagged that the buyer sent their phone number in the message)  - pulls 2 lines from a 10 line email to me and claims I have breached policies.

Here is the extract eBay sent me,

BUYER: My number is 0458 022 XXX
SELLER: I could either make it late Saturday afternoon or perhaps Sunday afternoon, which would suit you? Jason

I did not include my address, email or phone number in my reply to the buyer, I did not offer to sell outside the platform, the buyer obviously already knows who we are and just wants to attend our warehouse to inspect the item.

So on May 24th the above happens and on 31st May eBay sends me a threatening email and tells me to change my behaviour within 3 days... are they serious?

So my question is - If someone contacts me via mymessages wishing to inspect something before buying - What is the correct protocol when a buyer wishes to make a time to inspect an item (which is a pretty common occurance for us over the past 15 years) ??  Are we supposed to ignore them or tell them no..... has eBay come to this??

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Account suspension threats from eBay over message from a buyer who wishes to inspect before buyi

my thoughts are its an automated message reader looking for terms or phrases its been programed to look for.

its taken what you wrote and decided its you making arangements to sell off ebay.

if it was checked before sending you a , big scarey warning' then the person checking is an idiot but i suspect its nothing like that but a totally automated system.

ive had messages similar when conversing with buyers about items.

ive never done a deal to sell off ebay.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Re: Account suspension threats from eBay over message from a buyer who wishes to inspect before buyi

It's a newish way of dealing with off eBay selling from eBay.

As mentioned, usually an automated warning then a 7 day suspension if details are passed through messages.

I have a photo with my number written on a piece of paper which I quickly revise a listing with for those wishing to inspect before purchasing. But don't know if eBay are onto that on yet.

Feels like primary school again.

image host
Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

There is now no such thing as inspecting an item before purchase without falling foul in the eyes off eBay.

You've now had your warning (even though you did not instigate the contact). Another perceived breach will result in you not being able to list for 7 days and increasing from there to account suspension.

The only way for an inspection to occur is for the buyer to purchase, inspect, then refund if necessary (being careful to choose the 'buyer changed their mind' to avoid an 'out of stock' defect).

Messages such as the one you received should be answered with an explanation of eBay rules to the buyer (who infracted by giving you their phone number without a purchase being made.

No wonder many sellers are leaving eBay for simpler/cheaper selling platforms.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

This has been going on for a fair while now, cant even remember how long ago it was that I got a warning, when they first started this rubbish.   Ebay regularly advise members that it monitors ebay messages for breaches or underhand behaviour, It is an automated monitoring (Robot) system.  Ebay also advises members not to reply to messages that include or request contact details etc.

I would advise you to take the warning seriously and to be extremely carefull in replying to all messages, if incoming messages

include  contact details, dont reply.    Make sure any replies to messages make it perfectly clear that items will be only sold via an existing or custom created ebay listing.

Note if you reply to a message from a buyer, that ebay considers a breach, both the buyer and seller are liable to account suspension or termination.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I see ebays actions on a seller like this for no reason and other sellers with phone and address in listings are still not touched after 9 months of this rule supposedly being enforced.

eBay item number: 162718090871
eBay item number: 162716586209

No doubt (no change in sellers actions though) ebay would say they have done yadda yadda yadda to this seller with item #s above.

Same rules for all I say and ebay need to employ some humans instead of letting ebay AI do the work.(obviously ebay and Intelligence are a contradiction in terms)

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

It is more than 'disappointing' for all the honest members & paricularly for long standing members with a good track record, I find it extremely insulting.  What eBay don't sem to realise is they probably cause the loss of many sales with this kindergarten treatment of members.  If I was a buyer wanting to inspect something before I bid or purchased and was not allowed to, then I'd shop elsewhere ! I would not want to pay for something and then have to wait for a refund if the item didn't meet my expectations or requirements.  eBay need to wake up to this nonsense sooner raher than later, but it has been going on for so long now, I wouldn't be holding my breathe for changes to occur.

There have been several threads over quite a long period of time now and it doesn't appear eBay are doing anything to change the system, they don't listen to feedback or constructive criticism, they seem hell bent on trying to accuse many honest sellers of attempting to sell off eBay when that is not necessarily the case at all - many long standing reputable sellers have now gone (been banned) because of this BS, so yes, please do take the warning very seriously  Smiley Frustrated

I agree with gutterpunkz comments (msg 5)

Take particular note :-

This has been going on for a fair while now, cant even remember how long ago it was that I got a warning, when they first started this rubbish.   Ebay regularly advise members that it monitors ebay messages for breaches or underhand behaviour, It is an automated monitoring (Robot) system.  Ebay also advises members not to reply to messages that include or request contact details etc.

I would advise you to take the warning seriously and to be extremely carefull in replying to all messages, if incoming messages

include  contact details, dont reply.    Make sure any replies to messages make it perfectly clear that items will be only sold via an existing or custom created ebay listing.

Note if you reply to a message from a buyer, that ebay considers a breach, both the buyer and seller are liable to account suspension or termination.

I have read stories where this has happened without the Seller even replying, then you've got to fight the powers that be & rarely will they even lift the suspension when it's no fault of the seller

Edit  ;  To add to that, and to add further insult, if you are suspended or terminated, it is not only the offending account that is effected, it is all accounts you have . . . . . .  

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Item location - this guy has it sorted for pick up.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

@allied_pacific_01,

It's a horrible change, and makes pickup items much more difficult to handle without being put in the naughty corner by that officious eBay bot code.

As far as I am aware, this new policy does not include the necessity for the buyer to pay for the item before inspecting. Rather, s/he must eBay-BuyItNow(button).jpg or eBay-PlaceBid(button).jpg(and be the winning bidder) or eBay-MakeOffer(button).jpg(if Best Offer is enabled, and if you, the seller, accept the offer).

This constitutes the purchase agreement on eBay, which is all that eBay cares about. They are now entitled to charge you final value fees.

That's why I think the best way to handle this very awkward restriction is to include in the description of the listing something like this:

eBay's recent policy changes here and here don't permit inspection (or requests or offers for contact details) before purchase. However, you are very welcome to bid or buy, and the winning bidder/purchaser will be contacted to organise a time for inspection / pickup, with cash payment required only after you've inspected the item and are happy to go ahead. (Once you've bought the item on eBay, you can also obtain our contact information by using the Find contact information link.) If you're not happy about going ahead with the purchase once you've inspected the item, no problem! No cash will have changed hands, and a cancellation request will be sent to your eBay messages, so that you can safely agree to cancel on the spot. You won't be required to pay unless you want to finalise the purchase after inspection.

You can also use that text as your standard copy-and-paste reply to any messages requesting inspection beforehand. Because it includes links, the buyers can click onto the policies and see that you're not being difficult as a seller; it's just eBay.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Very clever the way he has it in Item Location, but I'm amazed he can get away with so much detail in his description - but good on him Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply