Brand NEW buyers

Well, we were warned when we started, 'Don't sell to new buyers', but we thought that was unfair as everyone has to start somewhere.

We've only had a handful, but each one has been problematic. I notice they appear young too.

One at the moment is a classic. 'Burnouts' in new pipes? Anyone who knows just a little about pipes knows this can happen in only one way and that is by allowing the pipe to become way too hot, exceedingly hand burning hot, during the break in process. Or, they have otherwise subscribed to the urban myth of breaking in a new pipe by hanging it, lighted, outside the window of a car travelling at say 30 miles per hour. That is one sure fire (no pun intended) way of scorching and blackening the heel of a new pipe, and that is exactly what has happened in this case. The pics are very clear. And, it's over such a large area - the complete heel of the pipe.

This is what we are dealing with, although we have not put this to the buyer, or otherwise suggested any fault on their part. Pointless in the beginning because it straight away creates confrontation. It has prompted me though, to be explicit with breaking in instructions with future dispatches. Things get so wordy though, in trying to cover 'all the bases.'

Anyway, we've offered one of two others, more expensive, that we have of the same brand, but not the same model, as replacements. No extra cost to the buyer.  They are both substantially more attractive, at least to me. The buyer refused. He wants the same. I've explained that being a vintage, but still new pipe, I can't replace it. I reiterated my offer of one of the two more expensive pipes and the alternative of a full refund. Answer, 'I want what I bought replaced.' I've not responded as yet. Giorgy and Barry both tell me I'm being way too soft and to hit him between the eyes with what's he's done, but what's that going to prove?

I can see some 'red' coming in from this buyer, even though we are 'bending over for Rover.'

I really hate it, but I think after this we're going to become another one of 'those sellers' who won't sell to newbies.

Suggestions appreciated.

Melina (fretting again)

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Brand NEW buyers

i cant see how the buyer can do anything, the item was delivered in the condition it was advertised. what he does with it after that is not the sellers fault.

could i buy a new coat then burn a hole in it with an iron and claim it was not as described?

who knows what your buyer did, but he got a new pipe, thats what he ordered

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Agree with what was said.

Tell the buyer you are sorry but the offers are now withdrawn as you refused them and the item was sent in the hope you would know how to use it without causing the damage done by misuse.

You need to toughen up with some of these buyers as they try it on to get stuff for nothing.

Change your settings to no newbies under 5 feedback or not verified.

You are selling on ebay to try and make some profit and by giving away stuff you are only trying to stop neg feedbacks and often they will leave it anyway.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

If not taking the hardline as suggested then perhaps,

Along the lines of -

Dear buyer,

I have contacted our manager and he has confirmed that this pipe was a one only and is not available any longer.

It simply doesn't exist anywhere.

He also confirmed that the reason it has received 'burnouts' can only be caused by allowing it to become too hot during the break-in period. Even though our return policy doesn't cover this type of damage, we are prepared to either refund or offer the other replacement. Kindly let us know what you wish us to do.

Put the buyer on your blocked list and probably set blocks for less then 5 feedback or there abouts.

But there are always going to be the ones that think they can just do it without reading the instructions.

They come on the boards here all the time blaming eBay, blaming sellers or buyers when it's their own fault.

AND they never come back to apologize. Pfffft.

(Sounds like they are not going to be pleased either way so I think you are getting a neg anyway, maybe as sparklz suggested)

image host
Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

wrote:

Well, we were warned when we started, 'Don't sell to new buyers', but we thought that was unfair as everyone has to start somewhere.

We've only had a handful, but each one has been problematic. I notice they appear young too.

One at the moment is a classic. 'Burnouts' in new pipes? Anyone who knows just a little about pipes knows this can happen in only one way and that is by allowing the pipe to become way too hot, exceedingly hand burning hot, during the break in process. Or, they have otherwise subscribed to the urban myth of breaking in a new pipe by hanging it, lighted, outside the window of a car travelling at say 30 miles per hour. That is one sure fire (no pun intended) way of scorching and blackening the heel of a new pipe, and that is exactly what has happened in this case. The pics are very clear. And, it's over such a large area - the complete heel of the pipe.

This is what we are dealing with, although we have not put this to the buyer, or otherwise suggested any fault on their part. Pointless in the beginning because it straight away creates confrontation. It has prompted me though, to be explicit with breaking in instructions with future dispatches. Things get so wordy though, in trying to cover 'all the bases.'

Anyway, we've offered one of two others, more expensive, that we have of the same brand, but not the same model, as replacements. No extra cost to the buyer.  They are both substantially more attractive, at least to me. The buyer refused. He wants the same. I've explained that being a vintage, but still new pipe, I can't replace it. I reiterated my offer of one of the two more expensive pipes and the alternative of a full refund. Answer, 'I want what I bought replaced.' I've not responded as yet. Giorgy and Barry both tell me I'm being way too soft and to hit him between the eyes with what's he's done, but what's that going to prove?

I can see some 'red' coming in from this buyer, even though we are 'bending over for Rover.'

I really hate it, but I think after this we're going to become another one of 'those sellers' who won't sell to newbies.

Suggestions appreciated.

Melina (fretting again)

A couple of things stand out here.

1. You have an unreasonable buyer & I mean that literally-they cannot be reasoned with.

2. You can't give them what they want so you're going to cop a neg or a blast whatever you do, so why not just stand up to them?

Stop offering replacements. Stop offering a refund. Maybe send a message that after consulting with experts (your boss) you have been advised there is only one way that can happen to a pipe.. then go into details. State that they caused the damage as the pipe was in excellent unused condition when sent. That a warranty does not cover misuse.

I was going to say you could mention that as a gesture of goodwill you would be willing to refund purchase price less postage costs but I am not sure you could add that as if you did refund that amount then they opened an item not as described case, you may end up having money withdrawn a second time. I'm not sure.

But just knock them back sternly.

They may then go on to open an item not as described case, & if that happens, then you just refund them and solve the case.

Okay, so you're then out of pocket the cost of the pipe. But if you send a replacement, you're out of pocket the cost of 2 pipes & you say the replacement pipes are even more expensive. Don't do it. 

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

wrote:

wrote:

Suggestions appreciated.

Melina (fretting again)

A couple of things stand out here.

1. You have an unreasonable buyer & I mean that literally-they cannot be reasoned with.

2. You can't give them what they want so you're going to cop a neg or a blast whatever you do, so why not just stand up to them?

Stop offering replacements. Stop offering a refund. Maybe send a message that after consulting with experts (your boss) you have been advised there is only one way that can happen to a pipe.. then go into details. State that they caused the damage as the pipe was in excellent unused condition when sent. That a warranty does not cover misuse.

I was going to say you could mention that as a gesture of goodwill you would be willing to refund purchase price less postage costs but I am not sure you could add that as if you did refund that amount then they opened an item not as described case, you may end up having money withdrawn a second time. I'm not sure.

But just knock them back sternly.

They may then go on to open an item not as described case, & if that happens, then you just refund them and solve the case.

Okay, so you're then out of pocket the cost of the pipe. But if you send a replacement, you're out of pocket the cost of 2 pipes & you say the replacement pipes are even more expensive. Don't do it. 

If they open a case and you send a replacement, the case is likely to time out (in their favour) before their replacement arrives, so you'll lose both pipes and all your money.  Plus you may get a defect from ebay for an unresolved case (not sure on that one).

It's too late for this time but if you offer too much it only makes you sound weak and they'll take advantage of that, so never offer more than they deserve, which in this case is nil.

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Buyers like this are just trying to exercise control - never forget the buyer is not the business owner, and you (as in, the manager, owner, whomever) are in full control over the business decisions.

I've had a couple like this before, asking for things I've told them are not on the table. The way I handle it is to basically say "These are your options, if an option is not selected by X date, option (xxxx) will be provided automatically". I word it a little friendlier than that (phrases like "I understand..." and "unfortunately" are favourites of mine, lol), but that's the basic jist of it. If you give them specific choices, and then keep control over what solution will be provided by using that tactic, they will usually choose one of the two suggestions.

Not always, of course, but that's when you follow through with the action as stated - I've had to do it a few times. 

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Someone on here recently mentioned the old addage, of inventing a bigger idiot, unfortunately it would appear you have encountered one of the new breed.   There are some humungous ones out there.     Best of luck, but the reality is that  wether the buyer is a newbie or not, we all get stung from time to time and can be damned no matter what we do.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Ah yes, some buyers will certainly try it on!

There was a post a while back where buyer purchased a brand new dress. About a week after receiving it, buyer opens a SNAD dispute claiming the dress was damaged.

Well, the clever seller did some FB stalking and there they were, photos of the buyer wearing said dress out at a function! Seller copied images and sent them to eBay.

This one was a "rare win" for Sellers!

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Thanks everyone for taking the time. You're all busy. I know that.

The  truth is we're still 'squabbling' about what to do here. But, we'll end it today.

We're not  that concerned about the red, which seems inevitable anyway. I think our prior feedback is good enough to carry it. And, we can respond to that when it happens.

Both the boys are adamant, so 2 against 1 will win out I think and culminate in an amended email being sent by one of them pursuant to their inspection of the pics.

I've spent hours amending our letter that goes with each dispatch and then even more with FAQ's to go with new listings, but it's just so lengthy and probably looks stupid. But, I'll put it up and just see. Something likes this certainly creates a reaction. It's hard when you take so much pride in every little thing that you do, but as someone said, I need to harden up too. I accept that.

Thanks for holding my hand.

Melina.

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply