Brand NEW buyers

Well, we were warned when we started, 'Don't sell to new buyers', but we thought that was unfair as everyone has to start somewhere.

We've only had a handful, but each one has been problematic. I notice they appear young too.

One at the moment is a classic. 'Burnouts' in new pipes? Anyone who knows just a little about pipes knows this can happen in only one way and that is by allowing the pipe to become way too hot, exceedingly hand burning hot, during the break in process. Or, they have otherwise subscribed to the urban myth of breaking in a new pipe by hanging it, lighted, outside the window of a car travelling at say 30 miles per hour. That is one sure fire (no pun intended) way of scorching and blackening the heel of a new pipe, and that is exactly what has happened in this case. The pics are very clear. And, it's over such a large area - the complete heel of the pipe.

This is what we are dealing with, although we have not put this to the buyer, or otherwise suggested any fault on their part. Pointless in the beginning because it straight away creates confrontation. It has prompted me though, to be explicit with breaking in instructions with future dispatches. Things get so wordy though, in trying to cover 'all the bases.'

Anyway, we've offered one of two others, more expensive, that we have of the same brand, but not the same model, as replacements. No extra cost to the buyer.  They are both substantially more attractive, at least to me. The buyer refused. He wants the same. I've explained that being a vintage, but still new pipe, I can't replace it. I reiterated my offer of one of the two more expensive pipes and the alternative of a full refund. Answer, 'I want what I bought replaced.' I've not responded as yet. Giorgy and Barry both tell me I'm being way too soft and to hit him between the eyes with what's he's done, but what's that going to prove?

I can see some 'red' coming in from this buyer, even though we are 'bending over for Rover.'

I really hate it, but I think after this we're going to become another one of 'those sellers' who won't sell to newbies.

Suggestions appreciated.

Melina (fretting again)

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Brand NEW buyers

Thanks Lyndal 🙂

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

I've never blocked anyone with low feedback or for not being phone verified. I don't find newbies to be a problem because they have to start somewhere.

A person could have 1,000 feedback and never have bought a pipe before and still be a problem buyer. Having said that, if a higher percentage of newbies are proving to be a problem for you than your other buyers, it may pay to block them if you can.
Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Brer, i think it's a combination of two things; newbs and young ones, or even a 3rd element - new pipe smokers. Pretty hard to address.

I'll at least address the issue of 'burnouts' further and better in our letter that goes with dispatch.

Hehe!! But, as Barry said yesterday, 'You can't fix stupid.' I'm a bit kinder and say, 'You can't put in what God has left out.' Same - just different language.

ah! Onwards and upwards.

Melina.

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

> I don't find newbies to be a problem because they have to start somewhere.

I'm of the same opinion. I started another store last month and on those products, around 25% were (0) feedback. Initially it scared the hell out of me, but I haven't had a problem yet.

The only drawback I can see is they seem to think the shipping estimates are set in stone guarantees, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

It is not just new buyers who believe the delivery estimates are set in stone.

Many buyers with hundreds of feedback under their belts are the same way.  It is the worst "improvement" ever made by ebay IMO.

Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

You can't blame ebay entirely for buyer's interpretation of the estimates.  After all, an estimate is exactly that - an ESTIMATE.  Plus it does say it's only an estimate!

Delivery: Estimated on or before Wed. 21 Feb. to ... (postcode)

There's a little question mark at the end of the above bit and if anyone clicks on it they see this:

Delivery time is estimated using our proprietary method which is based on the buyer's proximity to the item location, the postage service selected, the seller's postage history, and other factors. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

Anyone with half a brain should know they're only approximate dates, even without reading the extra bit above.
Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

The problem as I see it rabbit is that a buyer can open an INR case as soon as that ETA has passed.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

@brerrabbit585

There's a little question mark at the end of the above bit and if anyone clicks on it they see this:

Delivery time is estimated using our proprietary method which is based on the buyer's proximity to the item location, the postage service selected, the seller's postage history, and other factors. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

Anyone with half a brain should know they're only approximate dates, even without reading the extra bit above.

Hah ... confession time! 17 years on Ebay and I've never noticed the little (being the operative word with my eyesight) question mark. 

Thankfully I know the meaning of 'estimate' and am relieved to know I have at least half a brain!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

@clubesquirewrote:

The  truth is we're still 'squabbling' about what to do here. But, we'll end it today.

I know this particular issue is already resolved, but I thought I'd post this on the chance you find it helpful in the future.

One of the best things I ever did, after experiencing a few problem transactions and feeling a bit flustered from not quite knowing how to handle it or even what my response should be, was to sit down and work out exactly what I am prepared to provide as a solution in specific circumstances, and also wrote out a few message templates that could be adjusted / edited as needed.

Doing that meant I didn't have to ask my self "what do I do here", because I'd already decided, and the message templates meant I could copy/paste a reply, customise it, and respond within a few minutes if I was already at the computer (which I personally feel added an element of authority to my response - I tried to craft my messages so that they were polite but firm, empathetic but not excessively apologetic, and avoided anything remotely accusatory, unless it became necessary but even then I framed it as tactfully as possible). 

You'll sometimes get buyers that keep trying to push, but having answers / plans at the ready can help increase the confidence in your actions, and I think that shows in communications, and over the years I've found it's usually only the ones who were determined to cause trouble from the start who won't be swayed by confident, reasonable and firm responses (these buyers will just outright ignore what you say, won't answer your questions, and insist on whatever it is they want to insist upon - in those cases I just repeat the most important points, like what options are available, and tell them the matter can't be discussed further. In really extreme cases, which thankfully I've only had 3 in 7 years, I will advise them of an account manager's decision, which is final, just leaving out the bit that my account manager is me.... Cat Happy ). 

These don't have to be stated policies that buyers can read, just things that you can refer to for situations that can't really be covered in detail in your terms, like what you'd do / say if a buyer asks to return something outside of your return policy, or if they say you sent them the wrong product when you know you sent the correct one. They don't need to be inflexible, either, as I'll often bend my internal policies for a buyer if I feel the situation warrants it (sometimes all they need to be is a little more polite and respectful than the average buyer - eg I just accepted a change of mind return 6 weeks after the sale without hesitation [I knew the product was unused], while I have declined requests a few days after my timeframe because I knew they weren't being honest and had purchased customised items to wear to an event). 

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Thanks for your unselfish time and good advice DG. Please know I'm grateful.

Melina.

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply