Buyer asked for a return because they "found a better price", but my listing said no returns.

Hello,

I've recently sold an item and have shipped it off to the buyer (it's currently in transit according to tracking). As soon as I shipped it the buyer has asked for a return as he stated "I found a better price". Because my listing said it does not accept returns, I have the option to decline the return request.

I'm just worried that if I decline it, the buyer will come back with a "not as described" or "damaged on arrival" and I'll be forced to refund and lose the item.

Is it safe to decline the request? Can the buyer make multiple return requests? Is it just easier to get them to ship the item back and refund them? Do I have the right to make them pay for return shipping, with tracking?

I've never had any issues or means to ask the community anything, so any help is appreciated, thanks. 🙂

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Buyer asked for a return because they "found a better price", but my listing said no returns.

@loganrdowellwrote:

Hello,

I've recently sold an item and have shipped it off to the buyer (it's currently in transit according to tracking). As soon as I shipped it the buyer has asked for a return as he stated "I found a better price". Because my listing said it does not accept returns, I have the option to decline the return request.

I'm just worried that if I decline it, the buyer will come back with a "not as described" or "damaged on arrival" and I'll be forced to refund and lose the item.

Is it safe to decline the request? Can the buyer make multiple return requests? Is it just easier to get them to ship the item back and refund them? Do I have the right to make them pay for return shipping, with tracking?

I've never had any issues or means to ask the community anything, so any help is appreciated, thanks. 🙂

It's already in transit so you don't have the option of an easy cancellation.

Whatever you do, keep that message from the buyer as I think it is evidence of intent right from the start, that the buyer had a change of mind.

I think you need to answer the buyer asap-immediately. Explain politely that it was already posted before you got the message & show them the tracking number details. If you don't do this asap they are going to blame you, they will think you were slack checking messages and if you were on the ball might have seen their message in time.

You might add (if you want to) that you do not normally accept returns but if, when they receive the item, they wish to return it (at their expense) they may, and you will give a refund on item price less original postage costs.

You have every right to decline the return, you have every right to ask them to pay for return shipping, tracked, when it is a change of mind return.

However, I share your worry that they might try something shifty once they receive it, and if they do, that's when you will need to ring ebay to chat to someone & get them to look at your messages.

But whether you decline the request totally or give them the option to return the item, I think you need to write immediately to explain why it cannot be a simple cancellation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

If they insist on a return - 

Dear buyer,

Whilst I endeavour to assist where ever I can with customers, as stated in the listing I don't accept returns for change of mind especially if the item has already been sent.

I will however make an exception in this case and refund the price of the item once it is returned in unused condition.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

image host

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

@loganrdowellwrote:

Hello,

It's already in transit so you don't have the option of an easy cancellation.

Whatever you do, keep that message from the buyer as I think it is evidence of intent right from the start, that the buyer had a change of mind.

I think you need to answer the buyer asap-immediately. Explain politely that it was already posted before you got the message & show them the tracking number details. If you don't do this asap they are going to blame you, they will think you were slack checking messages and if you were on the ball might have seen their message in time.

You might add (if you want to) that you do not normally accept returns but if, when they receive the item, they wish to return it (at their expense) they may, and you will give a refund on item price less original postage costs.

You have every right to decline the return, you have every right to ask them to pay for return shipping, tracked, when it is a change of mind return.

However, I share your worry that they might try something shifty once they receive it, and if they do, that's when you will need to ring ebay to chat to someone & get them to look at your messages.

But whether you decline the request totally or give them the option to return the item, I think you need to write immediately to explain why it cannot be a simple cancellation.

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

As said but if the buyer opens a dispute for change of mind then ebay will tell them to return it anyway as sellers terms mean nothing OR refund the buyer from their own money and this encourages buyers to scam not just the sellers but ebay as well to get a refund and keep the item for free (not that ebay seem to be worried)

Ebay is all for the buyers but not sellers.

Time all the sellers got together and closed their stores down for 24 to 48 hours in protest as ebay are ruining some sellers by taking the buyers side and refunding them and then adding that to the sellers invoice 😞

There is not many good stories from sellers where ebay has done them good but we do hear of MANY bad stories where ebay help scamming buyers all too often 😞

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

Thanks for the fast and extensive reply. 🙂

I've done as you suggested and contacted the buyer asap. We'll see how it unravels, but I did offer for them to pay to send it back with tracking if they really needed to.

Does that put me out of pocket in terms of listing fees?
Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

If they insist on a return - 

Dear buyer,

Whilst I endeavour to assist where ever I can with customers, as stated in the listing I don't accept returns for change of mind especially if the item has already been sent.

I will however make an exception in this case and refund the price of the item once it is returned in unused condition.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

image host
Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

I must admit, after having this return request I started looking around at other stories and it's so crazy what I've read about sellers being scammed and eBay pretty much doing nothing about it.

I don't think I'll ever sell stuff on eBay again, which is not a huge loss to them as they basically make no money off me, hehe.
Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

@loganrdowellwrote:
Thanks for the fast and extensive reply. 🙂

I've done as you suggested and contacted the buyer asap. We'll see how it unravels, but I did offer for them to pay to send it back with tracking if they really needed to.

Does that put me out of pocket in terms of listing fees?

Once you get the item back send a cancel request to them and once they agree to that the fees will be credited back to your account

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Do not bend your rules for each buyer as you have done nothing wrong. You say "no returns" and it is your policy.You cannot please everyone. 

If you still want to accept it as a return(I would not) remember that you have posted it already so even if it won't be accepted on delivery you are loosing postage cost to your buyer and AusPost may ask you to pay return postage cost. You have all rights to ask your buyer to cover all this plus I would ask to pay for restocking just because you will waste your time on getting fees back doing refunds.

It is like Kmart that will accept a return but they will laugh at you if you ask them to pay for petrol required for driving back to KMart just to return it.

May be if your buyer knows how much they will get back after all this they do not want to return it at all.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

I think it is very bad of ebay not to follow their own policies:    it makes it soooo difficult for sellers.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/contextual/return-policy.html

Understanding return policies

Did you know? If you don't get the item you ordered on eBay.com.au your purchase may be eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Important information for buyers: your legal right to return goods

As an Australian consumer, you have a legal right to return goods purchased from a business and to obtain a repair, replacement or refund if the goods:

• Are faulty or develop a fault within a reasonable period of time after purchase
  • Are not fit for purpose (i.e. they don't do what the seller said they would do)
  • Don't match the seller's description or sample
  • Are of unacceptable quality, or
  • Fail to meet other mandatory consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law.

Consumer guarantee basics

If a product fails to meet one or more of the consumer guarantees, you can claim a remedy from the seller, such as:

• A replacement or refund for a major failure, and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage
  • A replacement or repair if the goods otherwise fail to be of acceptable quality

To exercise these rights, the buyer should contact the Seller and may be required to return the goods and to provide proof of purchase. Remember, your rights to a return, replacement or refund for faulty or non-compliant goods are in addition to any other rights under the seller's return policy or any warranty that comes with the goods.

To use your rights, contact the seller, who may ask you to return the goods.

Please note: Consumer guarantees don't apply if you: 

• Have simply changed your mind, found the product cheaper elsewhere, or decided you don't like or need the product
  • Misused a product and have caused or contributed to the failure of the goods, for example, by damaging or misusing the goods
Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

ebay and paypal don't operate within accc law. In the past yrs when i had a previous account a buyer would simply change their mind, complain to ebay and get their money and also get to keep the product so on my new account i won't accept payments thru ebay but will accept paypal payments leaving ebay out of the loop. the buyer has to many rights and the seller none.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply