More Changes? Almost Died of Shock (not clickbait*)

I will never be the same

I was just browsing the site (as you do) and clicked "add to cart" on a CD, and the item was added to my cart (not the shocking part), but it was done dynamically... Smiley Surprised (by which I mean, it didn't load up the cart page, it just had a pop-up window I could close and I got to stay on the item page, which is something I've wanted ever since the cart was introduced).

Is this new? If so, good job, eBay, it only took a few years to get a much-requested function implemented. If not... I'll just celebrate over in the corner on my own, cause I'm happy, if but behind the times. 

woo hoo

*I lied, or at least was a bit hyperbolic. Sorry if this post is anticlimactic. heh

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: More Changes? Almost Died of Shock (not clickbait*)

Thoroughly jealous right now. Smiley Embarassed I haven't seen that one (I'm sure I would have remembered it Smiley LOL ) but it sounds like it would have gone into my 'so bad it's good' pile (along with Fantasy Mission Force and City Hunter Smiley Very Happy ). The Wong Fei Hung story was told and retold so many times, to varying degrees of success and with varying degrees of embellishment, but I have a very special place in my heart for another of Jet Li's called Last Hero In China, in which to defeat the bad guys at the end (who are doing a 'dragon dance' but in the form of a centipede) our hero must invent a new fighing style. And what beats a centipede, one might ask?

A chicken, of course

Spoiler
Side-note, I can not hear On the General's Orders (pretty much officially the Wong Fei Hung's theme song in every film and what's playing in the above clip), without wanting to go all whupaaa 

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

Digi, one of my favourites is Kurosawa's Seven Samuri, on which the Magnificent Seven was based on.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

That is a brilliant film ๐Ÿ™‚  

Hollywood actually borrows a lot from Asian cinema (and vice versa, of course) but some of the most well regarded Hollywood films are direct remakes of Asian films (eg Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs is a loose remake of Ringo Lam's City on Fire, which itself was based on a true story of a robbery gone wrong, and Martin Scorcese's The Departed is a blow-by-blow retelling of Infernal Affairs - I was gobsmacked when he won best original screenplay for that, as that would have been like me winning a prize for my 4th grade re-telling of The Neverending Story ... well, I actually got 20 points on the classroom leader board, but I never pretended it was original Smiley LOL Infernal Affairs is superior, JMHO). 

Edited to add: my mistake, it was best adapted screenplay at the Oscars. Smiley Embarassed

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

LOVE HK movies - even the bad ones! What a shame SBS has mostly stopped showing them because of affiliation with Viceland...๐Ÿ™„

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

Netflix and Stan show some of the bigger films, but they can be the butchered "international" versions (Shaolin Soccer on Netflix, for example).

I used to watch Cult Movies with Des Mangan religiously - SBS subtitles were/are a lot better than the standard ones that were on HK movies (those white ones, with some particularly interesting translations at times*, when they weren't obscured by the background Smiley LOL ), so it's a real shame they couldn't keep that up, even with a different host.

*Though, it wasn't always the translations. Since British and Amercians were often the bad guys in HK films, there was no shortage of bad guys played by bad actors who spouted some awesomely bad lines in english, or just highly amusing ones. One of my favourite films of all time (Once Upon A Time in China, another Jet Li / Wong Fei Hung movie) also has my favourite example of this, when a British officer is approaching a docked American ship with the heroes, and is told that they can't board as it would be a "....violation of federal law *gun shot for emphasis*" The Brit replies in a very posh accent "Damn your Yankee laws!", to which the yank retorts "Damn you Brits to hell!". Smiley LOL

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

Can't say I've seen it!๐Ÿค”...will have to keep a look out for it!

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

Good job I haven't got eBay's messages blocked to my own email.

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply