NOW HOWS EVERYONE DOING IN CHRISTMAS SALES??

SHOULD be prime Christmas sale time right now BUT im down 60 % on sales from same period last year..... How are you all going now that we should be in the middle of Christmas mayhem??

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Not reffering to you OP but some people dont want hear anything positive said about ebay, so when it comes to sales, my only comment is " no comment ''

Spoiler
On the other hand..............I did have this one ripper this week.............
Spoiler
OOOPS, there I go again, being positive

Spoiler
SORRY...............I promise I wont make that mistake again..........Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

Our sales are up but I wouldn't say it feels like xmas, more like we're having a good month. Monday the 3rd was a massive day for us, but it was just that one day.

Message 12 of 46
Latest reply

Yes... I'm not one of those๐Ÿ˜‰.... I'm usually quite positive about sales here.... & grateful that we can come here to sell things without too much rigmarole.....but never had a Xmas like this ... Where I'm  about 50% down on this Oct & I'm now about 75% down on this time last year... I was thinking my account was having a glitch like yrs was a few months ago... Where you contacted EBay & they saw there was a problem.. I thought that could be happening to me now. But no!... They couldn't find a problem. But I know this is not normal... You don't go from normal sales to less than half (if you sell jewellery) just before Christmas ๐Ÿ˜‚...So I'm believing it's something to do with the promoted listings... My nickname for you Chameleon is Even Stephen!!!....with yr sales clipping along at their usual pace...Meanwhile most of us are riding a see saw!

Message 13 of 46
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:

Yes... I'm not one of those๐Ÿ˜‰.... I'm usually quite positive about sales here.... & grateful that we can come here to sell things without too much rigmarole.....but never had a Xmas like this ... Where I'm  about 50% down on this Oct & I'm now about 75% down on this time last year... I was thinking my account was having a glitch like yrs was a few months ago... Where you contacted EBay & they saw there was a problem.. I thought that could be happening to me now. But no!... They couldn't find a problem. But I know this is not normal... You don't go from normal sales to less than half (if you sell jewellery) just before Christmas ๐Ÿ˜‚...So I'm believing it's something to do with the promoted listings... My nickname for you Chameleon is Even Stephen!!!....with yr sales clipping along at their usual pace...Meanwhile most of us are riding a see saw!

Really?

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/PowerSellers/The-Lights-are-on-yeah-shining-very-bright/m-p/2206711...

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/has-anybody-else-having-a-sales-crash-in-oz-ebay-since-the-...

Message 14 of 46
Latest reply

So you too hey? Wonder what it is? Going around the shops it seems to be a bit quiet too, actually...come to think of it...

Message 15 of 46
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:

Thats about it. I dont usually get a Christmas rush as my items are not really presi material, but I do pick up a few extra sales from blokes who are on holidays tinkering in their sheds. This usually makes up for the business customers who close down for a few weeks at this time of year. Sales are generally firm and responding quickly to new listings.

I am fairly sure that ebay has changed its algorythms recently to provide greater visibility to new, fresh listings and those with recent sales history at the expense of older listings. This is reinforced by the rethoric in announcements coming from the company. I,m not sure where that leaves my business model long term as I often sell unusual items that have a limited market and regularly just sit there for a year or two before they sell.

I may need to move to faster selling collectables as this market is still very strong.

It is quite noticable that international sales are stronger than the Australian market at the moment and this is definately having an impact on sales. If I was just relying on the Australian market I would almost certianly be seeing a slow down. One stratedy that has worked recently is to open more listings up to international clients, even if postage costs are very high as there are buyers out there somewhere that are willing to pay the extra costs if the items are rare.

I recently sold a $90 item to the U.S.A that cost nearly $150 extra in postage. Description and photos ( noting faults ) have to be spot on if using this stratedgy as buyers become very picky if they are shelling out large postage costs on top of the item price. I have had a few sales like this recently ( international postage costs much higher than item price ) and so far, so good, but it is definately not for the faint hearted.

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

Those overseas buyers probably pay through the nose in customs fees as well. There's still plenty of people around who don't mind what they pay if they really want something.

December is usually my slowest month but this last week was probably my best December week ever - not better than my average week but a lot better than I usually get this time of year. I did do a few brand new listings (first for quite a while).

I find it interesting that my best month occurs at different times of the year on different selling sites. On one site (now defunct) July was always way ahead of my other months but it's the opposite on ebay.
Message 17 of 46
Latest reply

That's why I only sell the highest quality items because people are always buying them because they want them and the items only increase in value down the track.

Message 18 of 46
Latest reply

Quality always pays. The people who buy high quality items either have plenty of money to afford it, or they know it'll cost them less in the long run, so there'll always be a market for it.

I've ended up with the odd bit of stock that's poorer quality but I put a lower price on it and state it's poorer quality and get rid of it as fast as I can. I see other sellers with the exact same item for full price but I want repeat buyers and refuse to do to others as I've had done to me.
Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

easily the WORST ever Xmas period for us..try 2 sales for this month and its' nearly half way through December..tried to do everything..nothing works.. we honestly feel something is wrong..reading other folks posts helps to come to that conclusion.....December logically was THE busiest period..not anymore..whatever happened to the simple practise of just listing stuff..we feel we aren't getting a fair go re: search engine results.. it's promotional items or no promotional items..Ebay plus or red ebay..all the bells & whistles have done nothing for us....tried talking to the ebay reps..that's useless..we are just paying ebay fees and making next to nothing..a very very unpleasant experience.. It's a shame EBay used to be such great fun & it was rewarding..not anymore..

Message 20 of 46
Latest reply