NOW HOWS EVERYONE DOING IN CHRISTMAS SALES??

SHOULD be prime Christmas sale time right now BUT im down 60 % on sales from same period last year..... How are you all going now that we should be in the middle of Christmas mayhem??

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
Those overseas buyers probably pay through the nose in customs fees as well. There's still plenty of people around who don't mind what they pay if they really want something.

December is usually my slowest month but this last week was probably my best December week ever - not better than my average week but a lot better than I usually get this time of year. I did do a few brand new listings (first for quite a while).

I find it interesting that my best month occurs at different times of the year on different selling sites. On one site (now defunct) July was always way ahead of my other months but it's the opposite on ebay.

Seven items mailed today, five where to OS clients. Not sure how to explain that one but ebay seems to be really pushing the international visibility and sales at the moment. 

Spoiler
Perhaps its because they get 10% commission on those high postage fees ???
Message 21 of 46
Latest reply

Same here Knewdoors... Easily the worst by far .... No contest .... had 6 sales I think this week ..... Last year's corresponding week was about 36 I think... Trying like u to to get a pick up ( listing new things, dropped some prices, put on a markdown sale on older things, trying out the Promoted listings... But none of this has helped so far) . I agree with u & Chameleon ... Some of us must be affected by some algorithm changes. As, like I said sales was plodding along nicely for me til Christmas reared its ugly head. Just hope whatever is wrong rights itself.... Like you (& others reporting the same thing) ...I know there is something wrong. It's like our listings have dropped off the page.... Hopefully it'll right itself soon (but means we'll have missed this usually worthwhile sales period!)๐Ÿ˜•

Message 22 of 46
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Seven items mailed today, five where to OS clients. Not sure how to explain that one but ebay seems to be really pushing the international visibility and sales at the moment. 

Spoiler
Perhaps its because they get 10% commission on those high postage fees ???

Our international sales have been noticeably higher for a while now, and my explanation is that the Aussie dollar is down, so the exchange rate is giving them a good discount.

What I noticed is that our sales started going up at the same time as I started to see news stories about the dollar being down.

So it might be worthwhile re-visiting your international settings and options if you have not done so in a while.

Message 23 of 46
Latest reply

That will be the reason ... the Aussie dollar hasnt been this low against the US for about 8 years. Heard on ABC tonite a report saying it will continue to fall againt the USD until its about 60 odd cents... (72 now). Well thats some good news for it falling. Is making travelling OS more expensive, in some countries. But making our exports more popular OS ... Even our EBAY exports Haa Haaa. Wonder if I should open up to OS sales. Before this I would have thought my items arent something that OS people might buy. Although I have accidently sold to OS before I put a block on OS sales? Just worried about the slow mail causing bad feedbacks.

Message 24 of 46
Latest reply

we haven't sold anything since the 8th to the 15th..December is supposed to b the busiest month..ZERO sales..this have easily been the worst year..this time last year we sold 16 items...the ebay customer service people tell us everything is fine...a very bleak xmas..the lights are definitely off..seriously condiering closing down..when all our sales money are going to ebay & paypal in fees..it's simply not worth the effort..very disheartening..

Message 25 of 46
Latest reply

Facebook and gumtree and local markets are going off for me-ebay, who's ebay? No one uses ebay these days-it's become an icon of yesteryear and we will probably read about it in history books of ecommerce.

Message 26 of 46
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:

That will be the reason ... the Aussie dollar hasnt been this low against the US for about 8 years. Heard on ABC tonite a report saying it will continue to fall againt the USD until its about 60 odd cents... (72 now). Well thats some good news for it falling. Is making travelling OS more expensive, in some countries. But making our exports more popular OS ... Even our EBAY exports Haa Haaa. Wonder if I should open up to OS sales. Before this I would have thought my items arent something that OS people might buy. Although I have accidently sold to OS before I put a block on OS sales? Just worried about the slow mail causing bad feedbacks.

It is a bit harder on the nerves, but generally the mail is pretty reliable and most buyers are understanding if a problem occurs.Tracking helps with more expensive items as buyers can see the item is on its way. I do get slightly higher "item not recieved" claims from OS, but I add a dollar or two, as self insurance to the postage costs to cover this. I refund when there is a problem and havnt recieved any neutral or negative feedbacks directly as a result of selling OS. 

Normally OS sales make up around 25-30% of sales, but this has jumped to around 50-60% recently. The change has been very noticable and has helped to keep sales ticking along in the face of declining OZ sales. A lot of the items that go to international clients are very specific and not generic, such as parts for unusual or rare classic cars or Australian issued collectables that where not available internationalty.

Its easy to assume ebay must have been fiddling with increased visibility for internaltional listings, but the suggestion that improved OS sales could be the result of the falling Australian dollar makes sense.  Maybe there are times when we are too quick to blame ebay for everything.

Message 27 of 46
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:

It's generally only been a problem with less commercial focused areas such as Russia or South America, I'm one more problem sale away from blocking those areas from buying off me. Europe, UK and USA are fine, and the majority of international sales anyway. I often get feedback from them saying "Great service, only took 11 days" or something. Skip Canada until they sort their mail system out.

If you decide to ship to countries that dont have a lot of English speakers, such as Asia, be prepared to print labels in 2 or more languages with address translations

On the whole, international shipping is pretty reliable these days, at leaqst no worse than domestic..

Message 28 of 46
Latest reply

Glad to hear it's not just me, I am down 50% on last year. Oh well on the upside ebay dips out. I agree that it may be the promotions and also I don't like the new format.
Message 29 of 46
Latest reply

Yes - very disheartening still Knewdoors (unless youve had a pick up?).. !! Im down still 78% on this time last year & 56% on last month according to Ebay themselves. Something VERY wrong with this scenario when every other year Ive been flat out cos I sell a catagory that is very much a "present" one. You know how I thought it might be something to do with promoted listings moving further up the results page?? Well I now dont think it is because I put my most popular earring styles into promoted listings .... & it made Noo difference.. noo clicks .. nothing! So dont think thats it now! However the Christmas lights got turned off.. Hope they get switched back on!

Message 30 of 46
Latest reply