Why would ayone list at 99c.

bjlcr
Community Member

I have a number of listings due for relisting.Ebay recommend I relist a 99c.Why ? Postage has to be included.So it has to be the value of the item plus postage.I'd rather throw things out than list at 99c...Things would be sold at that price .But i am not going to do it.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Why would ayone list at 99c.

The reason to list things for a low price is to get people to buy from you even if you lose money. This forms a bound and a percentage will go on to be regular buyers if you do it right. Someone spending $0.99 with you today can spend thousands next month.

It has got hard to do with so many restrictions but when I sold before I sold a lot of items starting at $0.99 some I lost money some I broke even a few I made a profit overall I broke even on them of course that meant all the work packaging them up going to the post office was for free but what I got was free advertising.

There is also a very big downside, which is why I want do it any more, people who get things cheap tend to complain more than people who paid a good but fair price for an item

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Maybe they think you are Chinese.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

@bjlecr wrote:

I have a number of listings due for relisting.Ebay recommend I relist a 99c.Why ? Postage has to be included.So it has to be the value of the item plus postage.I'd rather throw things out than list at 99c...Things would be sold at that price .But i am not going to do it.

I think it is a bit of an "eBay culture" thing that they are reluctant to let go by the wayside, in some ways it defines eBay because that is what was popular when they began.

Yes, 99c auctions were popular and did yield good results in the early days, but as others have noted, technology has changed so last second bidding is now possible via mobiles which means it is not necessary to place your bids early.

The other thing that used to help prompt sellers to list for 99c start is listing fees.  I remember paying something like 30c listing fee if I started auctions at 99c, and it cost more if you listed for $1 or more.  So sellers started at 99c to save significantly on listing fees.  This action entrenched the 99c auction eBay culture.  It was further enhanced when eBay used to have "no listing fees for 99c auction" weekends with unlimited listings.  This flooded eBay with lots of junk listed at 99c start, and some sellers used to avoid listing when these 99c free listing weekends were on.

This screengrab is from an email I got for a listing I had on another ID back in Sept 2009.  The listing fee had to be paid even if the item did not sell, further encouraging you to list at a price that would attract bids.  The listing fee consisted of a base fee + 25c for every photo uploaded after the free gallery photo. So I paid 30c + 6x25c = $1.80

2009 listing fees.JPG

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

K1000 is right.

In the past, it cost less to list at 99c or $19.99 than it did to list for $1 or $20, so people did sometimes start at 99c to save fees.

Mind you, a lot of it was before paypal or 'free postage', so all you had then were the actual ebay fees if you did happen to sell.

It meant you could afford to get rid of small things around the home as you were still charging postage. You may not have made much but at least you didn't actually lose money.

These days, a different thing. All you can do is look after yourself & charge a reasonable price that will let you walk away with a small profit after paying all fees. If other newbie sellers don't do that & follow the old ebay guides, so be it. They will learn the hard way. Or else they will refuse to go through with a sale when they realise. That happens too.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

I have a tendency to ignore Ebay recommendations on price and on postage sometimes their recommendations are totally ridiculous.
Especially as their listing fees are more than the recommendations.
Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Look a lot of this also depends on the buying expertise too if can buy cheap can sell cheap and still make money.
Also yes your correct you look after the pennies the pounds will look after themselves.
Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

I have an item listed for 0.01 cents but there's a catch you'll have to pay for $14 for postage

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

Why?

I think you have devalued your 'geek' item

Not undervalued.     Devalued.

Geeks will be suss at that price

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

@billexploited wrote:

I have an item listed for 0.01 cents but there's a catch you'll have to pay for $14 for postage

I'm a bit concerned about your 1c item. Firstly, you are setting yourself up for a neg as even if the buyer gets it for 1c, I doubt it would cost $14 to post (I might be missing something?). Even if they get it for 1c, they may still get really upset if they are charged $14 for postage if it only costs $5 (just plucking a figure out of my head). I've seen it happen. They don't look at the overall price, they just see that they have paid far more postage than what it cost to post.

Next, the "strictly no money back guarantee" bit under your returns heading, sorry, but you don't have a choice on that. If a buyer opens a dispute, it doesn't matter what you say in your listing, eBay will force you. Plus, the no returns is only for change of mind. If something is not as described or arrives damaged, you either accept a return, or refund the buyer without them having to return.

As for not being responsible for items lost in the post, you can't write that in your description. If something is lost in the post, you refund the buyer. EBay or PayPal will force you if you don't do it willingly, then you receive a defect for your efforts. EBay will do it courtesy of the money back guarantee that you state you won't adhere to.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Hi Hippy toes unforntatley I've been quoted $14 from Australia post around Australia. Due to its size and weight I quite happy to refund the difference. I terms of no money back guarnteee. I have not have had one item returned. I have honesslty discribed my items on ebay. AND ebayers should do likewise. If ebayers don't wish discribe their item I will ask them a question. And furthermore I am selling on gumtree as well. Plus when you're in doubt just give me a call its not that hard.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply