eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

Last week eBay started including the buyer's shipping address in their "Sale confirmed:..." emails.

Today I have made a sale, and the shipping address in the eBay email is different to the shipping address given in the PayPal payment confirmation! What fun!

Obviously I'll check with the buyer and alert eBay to the discrepency, but just wanted to make this issue known so others can avoid a potential problem.

...And while typing this, the buyer has responded to confirm that it is the address provided by PayPal that is correct, and that the one displayed in eBay's email is a previous address from 7 years ago. So it looks like eBay's system can potentially source the incorrect address from their records.

When I go to create the shipping label through eBay, however, the correct address (i.e. the PayPal sourced one) is being displayed.

Go figure.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

I have a better idea, Stop reading emails and refer to the eBay order details, PayPal or eBay API if you have one. If you actually refer to the eBay site or PayPal this shouldn't be an issue & I don't understand why it has dragged out so long.

eBay has a record of sending out wrong emails, I just take a look at the managed payments email.
Message 41 of 93
Latest reply

I've met the same problem today and I've already sent the item to the wrong address before I could realize that. (That is the first time I met this problem) The customer service seems not willing to provide any help or be responsible for that. I literally spent the whole afternoon contacting the buyer, post office and the customer service and no solution came out. I paid for selling my items on eBay and now I'm even paying for eBay's technical issue. 

Message 42 of 93
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:
I have a better idea, Stop reading emails and refer to the eBay order details, PayPal or eBay API if you have one. If you actually refer to the eBay site or PayPal this shouldn't be an issue & I don't understand why it has dragged out so long.

eBay has a record of sending out wrong emails, I just take a look at the managed payments email.

For many sellers, emails are the first notification they receive of a sale - you shouldn't actually have to dig into the website or an API to get the correct postal information.

If your selling and dispatch process is unaffected, good for you, but why are you even bothering to comment if it's just to complain about the topic?

Message 43 of 93
Latest reply

Contact the buyer. If they are subscribed to MyPost, I believe they can get the parcel redirected.

It's worth a try.

Message 44 of 93
Latest reply

@pokeclubtcg wrote:

I've met the same problem today and I've already sent the item to the wrong address before I could realize that. (That is the first time I met this problem) The customer service seems not willing to provide any help or be responsible for that. I literally spent the whole afternoon contacting the buyer, post office and the customer service and no solution came out. I paid for selling my items on eBay and now I'm even paying for eBay's technical issue. 

Yes, I saw your other post regarding the item you sent.

Did you ask the post office about the possibility of a redirection?

EDIT: As davewil mentioned above, the buyer might be able to redirect it via MyPost if they're signed up.

Message 45 of 93
Latest reply

Yes, I asked them about that and they told me the only thing I can do is to upload a request to stop the shipment which I need to pay an extra fee of 28 AUD.

Message 46 of 93
Latest reply

When you contacted eBay this morning, was it via online chat, or phone?

Message 47 of 93
Latest reply

We have received similar emails in recent days (with an address different to PayPal provided) - but checked with the buyer to confirm (and always send to the PayPal address).

However I have complete compassion for the seller who shipped to the wrong address - if this is an example of ebay managing payments - you can count me out! It is horrible implementation of a (new) system, that is costing sellers due to an ebay error - and ebay washes its hands of the seller (when it is a company error directly attributable to ebay).

Bad form by ebay - this place gets worse and worse

Message 48 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I am at a loss as to why this is even the topic of a thread, let alone a thread that has gone on so long.

The prosecution rests, your honor. 

And what is this smarty comment meant to mean?

It boils down to the fact that if a seller wants protection from paypal they have to send to the address stipulated when the buyer pays and enters their address during checkout.

Most sellers would know this if they have been reading the paypal Terms over the years.

The ebay address has never given seller protection and I doubt that you will win a dispute now if you use it and it is wrong.

As Digi has already said....it is possible that this has come about due to the new payment system but at present I would hazard a guess that you will not win a dispute if you do not use the paypal address.  And you will surely have an unhappy customer if you do not send to the address they have nominated in paypal.

Message 49 of 93
Latest reply

I contacted them through online chat and I got a record of that. They admitted the problem in the morning.

Message 50 of 93
Latest reply