eBay removed my listing, a banana plant Musa ‘Goldfinger’ because they say it’s a noxious weed

I was stunned when I saw a message from eBay saying:

Your listing was removed because you listed an item that is on the state noxious weed list.Some federal, state, and local laws prohibit the sale of certain types of plants or seeds that are considered "exotic" or "noxious" weeds. eBay urges its sellers and buyers to comply with all governmental laws and regulations. The Australian Department of Environment and Heritage prohibits the importation and interstate movement of federally defined noxious weeds, sellers are restricted in their listing of them on eBay.Please do not relist this item.

We encourage you to list items that follow our policies, so please take a moment to familiarise yourself with this information. Be sure that your current and future listings, including any items that are relisted automatically, follow these guidelines. If they don’t, they'll be removed and your fees may not be refunded. It could also result in additional actions, including loss of buying and selling privileges on eBay.

If you have any concerns or questions, click "Help & Contact" at the top of most eBay pages.

Here's a list of the item(s) that were removed:
302975616527 - Musa sapientum ‘Goldfinger’ Rare Variegated Banana Plant Fruit Tree

Is it me or is this just crazy? Also, what’s going to happen to the farmers in QLD with their banana, I mean noxious weed plantations? And I guess my memories of visiting ‘The Big Noxious Weed’ as a kid will be just that now, memories 🤪

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: eBay removed my listing, a banana plant Musa ‘Goldfinger’ because they say it’s a noxious weed

@maranock wrote:

'Goldfinger' is an edible banana, not an ornamental. It is not on the weed list or restricted.

You are correct, but unfortunately like so many other things, ebay does not have the specilised knowledge to drill right down into specific plant genomes. They rely on generalisations such as the link I posted from the NSW dept. of Ag. which was titled Musa species. 

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

Re: eBay removed my listing, a banana plant Musa ‘Goldfinger’ because they say it’s a noxious weed

So how come there is another seller selling a musa species on eBay right now? I told Ebay this to help my case and they said they would look into it, that was over 24hrs now and it took them less than 1hr to find and remove mine
Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@plant_hoarder wrote:
So how come there is another seller selling a musa species on eBay right now? I told Ebay this to help my case and they said they would look into it, that was over 24hrs now and it took them less than 1hr to find and remove mine

Item number?

I can't find any.

A couple of listings from Thailand, but none here.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Spoiler
Kaspros-a burn-na-na doesmick!
Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

That’s the item number, listing is still there. I haven’t heard anything back from eBay about looking into it further like they said they would
Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

I just realised, this other seller is selling the actual noxious weed banana, but instead of calling it Musa acuminata subsp. zebrina which is the real name, he has made up the name Musa sumatrana. So my listing is removed even though I’m legitimately selling a non noxious weed, and his is still there even though he is selling a noxious weed, he just made another name for it
Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

@plant_hoarder wrote:
I just realised, this other seller is selling the actual noxious weed banana, but instead of calling it Musa acuminata subsp. zebrina which is the real name, he has made up the name Musa sumatrana. So my listing is removed even though I’m legitimately selling a non noxious weed, and his is still there even though he is selling a noxious weed, he just made another name for it

I just googled that name and came up with heaps of listings and images. It does not appear to be a made up name. I havnt bothered to check on wether it is on the noxious weeds list though.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

I don't know enough about all the botanical names, but there's this, on seeded bananas  -

https://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/Weeds/Details/358

edit:  sorry, just noticed that link was posted earlier   blushing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply