ebay managed payment and password bank details

Ebay have demanded that we all sign up to ebays's managed payments scheme. 

In the proccess the ebay system asks us to reveal out bank numbers AND PASSWORD. any bank in Australia advises NOT to give out this information to anyone. hence as of 1st march i will be affected by ebay closures of my listings due to their ILLEGAL demands.

Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: ebay managed payment and password bank details

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Well that is a bit short sighted, for one you can bypass the micro deposit system,  and most financial institutions reccommend that you regularly change your password anyway.    It is also a good idea to have a dedicated account for online use.

My password gives access to all of my bank accounts, not just a single selected one. This includes investment accounts and other business accounts not related to ebay which handle significant sums of money.  Frankly my personal bank accounts are none of ebays business.

Asking for bank passwords is taking things a step too far. The Micro payment / verification system is all that should be required.

Message 41 of 53
Latest reply

As stated,  Simply bypass it.

Message 42 of 53
Latest reply

Apparently I am the only idiot that proceeded... Now I am on the full paranoia swing

Message 43 of 53
Latest reply

Yes just tried to create a seller account and they wanted my bank login AND password had to kill process after I had already given drivers license and passport details 

Message 44 of 53
Latest reply

How to bypass it(

Message 45 of 53
Latest reply

I had to input my bank details (they need to know where to send the payments!), but I wasn't asked to put in a password. For those that were asked to put a password in, they changed it as soon as everything was accepted. If you wish to keep your current password, change it to something different for the purpose of setting up your account, then change it back.

As for driver's licence, I think from memory I only had to give them the licence number. I didn't have to upload a photo. I have never had a passport, so can't help with that. Usually it's a passport or licence, not both.

Message 46 of 53
Latest reply

That's what I gave. Then I changed my password.

Internet security 101.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you want to sell on eBay and provide the details the AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT require payment processors to acquire.

Message 47 of 53
Latest reply

@paulastephenson wrote:

How to bypass it(

Could you post a screenshot of the page? I recall someone posted one here a while back, which showed a list of banks, but there was supposedly a "my bank's not listed" link or something like that, resulting in a different verification process that doesn't involve Trustly logging into your bank account.

Message 48 of 53
Latest reply

Trustly doesn't come into it.

This is ebay.

Message 49 of 53
Latest reply

Congratulations, have just seen the "Honored Contributor.   Very well done!!!!

Message 50 of 53
Latest reply