has anybody else having a sales crash in oz ebay since the new year and experiencing no sales now

I sell on another id and have been a seller for 10 years and have experienced a huge downturn from $500 to $800 a week to now zero this week, buyers are scarce even watchers, ebay is useless in finding why, just says sellers are dependant on buyers-what if they have dissapeared like here? I am only giving it another few weeks to show something is happening beyond my control & will not have any money to pay ebay for my store and listers, any suggestions?

Message 1 of 187
Latest reply
186 REPLIES 186

has anybody else having a sales crash in oz ebay since the new year and experiencing no sales now

Primary Teaching is not all it's cracked up to be! Lots of work to get the Master's Degree (no Dip Ed anymore - so you need @ least 1 bachelor degree)

One of the jobs my daughter went for was @ the local Primary; where she attended 14 or more years ago. (Didn't get an interview even!) The same teachers that were there in her day were still there! Vic schools have to advertise all positions coming up for contract renewal; But that doesn't mean there are actually any new jobs for graduates or experienced teachers available.

The Unis keep churning out graduates; But free internships aren't even the key to the door! In fact a lot of legal internships want you to pay them for being able to work for them for free! The more prestigious the law firm; The more money they want to be paid! Scandalous!

My Son In Law (younger daughter's hubby) has dual Law & Finance degrees from Melb Uni. Couldn't afford to pay for an internship. He did his Master's in Primary teaching @ RMIT as a result. Finished last year; just like my middle daughter.

Mentioning far rural that's exactly where he had to go to get a teaching job!  He has a wife & baby to support, but the place is so far rural my younger daughter (who has great qualifications too) cannot even get a part time job in a shop. Not that the town or those nearby have many!

Message 41 of 187
Latest reply

Hello,everyone. I'd like to remind you off-topic discussion is not allowed here. The topic will be locked if off-topic discussion continues and off-topic posts might be removed. Please go back to the original topic or post a new topic on a relevant board.  Thanks for your understanding. 🙂

Message 42 of 187
Latest reply

Whilst the discussion may have wadered a bit, there has been some interesting things come out of it. The concerns about employment opportunities, particularly for younger people would be denting peoples confidence and their desire to spend money on discretionary items on ebay. Housing prices in the major cities and utilities costs would also be having an impact.

I suspect that certian demographics feel this more than others. When the family budget tightens up, it is often woman who reduce their spending on lifes little luxuries first. It follows that sellers targetting sales towards woman with young or near adult children could see their sales fall before others. Likewise luxury items targetting young people may suffer some effects, although the young tend to spend every cent they have anyway.

My target market is mature aged men who play around in their sheds. This is probably one of the demographics least affected by ecenomic turmoil. These people are often financially secure, own their own homes and businesses and dont have much time for the media gloom and doom.  If a middle aged man is restoring an old car or motor cycle, rising youth unemployment or high entry level house prices is not going to stop them.

This could partly explain why some sellers are still achieving consistent sales while others are struggling.

Message 43 of 187
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

My target market is mature aged men who play around in their sheds. This is probably one of the demographics least affected by ecenomic turmoil. These people are often financially secure, own their own homes and businesses and dont have much time for the media gloom and doom.  If a middle aged man is restoring an old car or motor cycle, rising youth unemployment or high entry level house prices is not going to stop them.

LOL chameleon, I still have to have the oxygen bottle close to hand when I source parts for my '70s Norton Commando..............

Spoiler
Any Commando bits perchance in your shed?????

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 44 of 187
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

any suggestions?

Flexibility is key .. being overcommited with the wrong stock/inventory is what hurts the most .. without being nasty there is an old saying and that is; the definition of madness is to continue to do the same thing/s and to expect different results ..

I used to run four product lines on ebay that used to go well (that was over 10 years ago before ebay deleted thousands of sub-categories and replaced them with the Cassinni best match default peek-a-boo search curse .. what a mess) and realised that after the various slowdowns (way back then) that the year to year trend was that sales were stalling/slowing .. I dabbled for years doing tests each time not seeing the ebay buyer market recover enough to make the leap of faith to invest in inventory for ebay resale .. I crunched numbers and could see that item numbers in categories were growing exponentially (in 12 years I have seen some of my old target category's numbers grow by close to 2000% (that is 2 Thousand percent or 20x) and put that down to the slowdown in sales and could see many were panic selling in the midst of it all putting downward pressure on prices and investor type collectors were offloading (due to collections losing rather than gaining in price) putting more downward pressure on prices etc etc (the true collector soldiers on and buys regardless, they are a rarer breed of buyer and are still about) .. from what I observed many of the problems for sellers stemmed directly from ebay policy changes drastically altering things from time to time .. now it is what it is .. in my opinion a shadow of what it could have been ..

.. for many of us the glory days are gone, if you want to build a business here you will need skills and luck and put in a fair amount of effort and at any moment ebay could bring in a new policy change and/or there could be yet another slowdown (for a myriad of reasons) followed by a year to year downward spiral in sales ..

.. overall every few months ebay policy changes and often buyer behaviour changes too and then your competing sellers are constantly evolving too so not much here stays the same for too long .. possibly not what you wanted to hear but probably reconfirming what you already know ..

If I can turn a few old unwanted items into cash via ebay (or elsewhere) that is enough for me these days .. good luck ..

Message 45 of 187
Latest reply

My sales on eBay are at a rock bottom.  I had days of nothing, then on Sunday four sales within 90 minutes (which I posted in this forum about, I was so excited and confused!) and then a week of nothing except one sale since, until yesterday.

I increased all my prices by a few dollars and instantly sold one.  I have to concentrate more on my regular jobs now, eBay is no longer a source of income for me.

Message 46 of 187
Latest reply

I have closed up shop mainly as I had to go back to California and could not be bothered paying ebay for nothing.  By the way it is very quiet there as well.  Seems like they are just sitting and waiting to see what will happen.  Anyway since I have been back home I have been working on diversification of my business.  Getting back to old roots and give it one final go.  I am working hard behind the scenes and will open another store maybe soon. Think Turnbull needs to start to look at going back to basics as well.  Hang in there everyone.

Message 47 of 187
Latest reply

So it's simple have you got another selling ID?

Message 48 of 187
Latest reply

the_p_nut1975
Community Member

Same for us on our 3 stores, down 30-40% in sales based on last year.. This is our worst year in the past 5 by far.  Seems to be way way more overseas sellers than I remember..  The golden days are over.  

Message 49 of 187
Latest reply

Transport Posters gives regular updates on sales on threads on the powersellers forum. He may be reffering to that.

Message 50 of 187
Latest reply