Return requested when they haven't received the item?

My brain is fried after a really long day, so please bear with me.

I posted an item today and the buyer has requested a return citing that they found a better item.

The item was sent in a trackable envelope (small size).

I accept free change of mind returns, the entire transaction is under $10 so it's more the principle, but ...

If I click "accept the return and print a label", am I right in assuming it'll only allow me to print a package label (which is minimum $8.65?)

So therefore ... I should just refund the buyer, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Return requested when they haven't received the item?

Sometimes, but not for letters, and with parcels it depends on the receiving PO whether return postage is applied.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

I think it depends on who you speak to.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I'd message the buyer and say I'm happy to refund on return, but since it's still in transit, I can't action anything on the request just yet - ask them to RTS the package, and hopefully they will be happy to follow through with that.

I would be reluctant to accept or refund before they've even received - as then they can just keep the item for free, or cost you postage unnecessarily, and their actions were ignorant and careless at best, intentional at worst.

I contacted AP and they are going to attempt to have the item redirected back to me (and for anyone wondering, they're doing that for free). So, I sent the buyer the above message and said that my course of action will depend on whether or not the redirection is successful, and that I'd be in touch when I hear from AP.

If it's delivered to the buyer, I'll ask them to RTS and refund, I suppose. Thanks for the advice.

On an entirely different note, I've just had someone else ask me if I would drive to their house 30km away tomorrow morning to deliver a $20 item ... what even IS today ...

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Don't forget that if the buyer paid you via Paypal - if & when you refund the sale - the Paypal fees won't be refunded to you.
The buyer will receive a full refund - but you'll be 'out of pocket' for the Paypal fees plus the postage costs for their 'change of mind' return.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

The only time you the seller have to pay return postage is if the item is faulty,for change of mind or finding something better they pay return postage.
Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@wendymac54 wrote:
The only time you the seller have to pay return postage is if the item is faulty,for change of mind or finding something better they pay return postage.

False. As a seller, you can elect to have FREE change of mind returns, which means they can change their mind and return it FREE of charge (the seller pays postage).

However, it appears that he does not get the original postage amount back, because the "estimated refund amount" shown on the return is only the item amount.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Australia Post told me trackable envelopes are for letters only, not items. How are you sending items in them?
Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

A lot of Aus Post staff don't have the best understanding of AP's T&Cs - which is a reflection on Aus Post and how they disseminate info. Or don't, more to the point. 

The small ones are document only, not exceeding 5mm thick and must be flexible.

The medium ones are designed to be large letters (so up to 20mm thick), but they also want them to be flexible, which is why they made them from flimsy paper I expect, and just have on the back: Do not use this envelope to send rigid items such as keys and USBs as sending these items may result in loss or damage, delays in delivery and / or missing tracking scans

The large ones do not have that disclaimer (or any other explicit item restriction) on them.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

A lot of Aus Post staff don't have the best understanding of AP's T&Cs - which is a reflection on Aus Post and how they disseminate info. Or don't, more to the point. 

The small ones are document only, not exceeding 5mm thick and must be flexible.

The medium ones are designed to be large letters (so up to 20mm thick), but they also want them to be flexible, which is why they made them from flimsy paper I expect, and just have on the back: Do not use this envelope to send rigid items such as keys and USBs as sending these items may result in loss or damage, delays in delivery and / or missing tracking scans

The large ones do not have that disclaimer (or any other explicit item restriction) on them.

Or on the franchisees who are under pretty intense economic pressure and don't divert any more time or expense to non-profitable activities than is strictly necessary.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

Or on the franchisees who are under pretty intense economic pressure and don't divert any more time or expense to non-profitable activities than is strictly necessary.

Maybe, but what amounts to "we're not making enough money to even find out what the rules are, let alone follow them" wouldn't hold up in court (which I say figuritively, as I don't have a huge amount of empathy for wilful ignorance, but it stands literally, as well). 

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply