managed payments and personal information.

Is it true that to sign up for managed payments, eBay demands heaps of personal information, and also we have to once again prove who we are and upload bank account details etc,etc. All of this personal informtion is then sent to a third party which eBay is then not responsible for. I would like to hear from those who have already signed up, as to whether this is true or not.

Message 1 of 118
Latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

Re: managed payments and personal information.

My understanding is you can still pay with Paypal but can no longer sell using Paypal, correct me if I am wrong.

Message 61 of 118
Latest reply

Don't be so cynical, power sellers are leaving by the hordes too.

Message 62 of 118
Latest reply

@wackojacko94 wrote:

My understanding is you can still pay with Paypal but can no longer sell using Paypal, correct me if I am wrong.

Paypal will be listed as a safe payment method until 2023

Message 63 of 118
Latest reply

@wackojacko94 wrote:

But they still got your licence number for your other accounts. If a hacker got your licence and managed to get your other accounts info - you know the one with all your money in then it's the same scenario, you are stuffed in any way you look at it.

I have lost lost count of the number of times I have posted this advice, but here it is again:

Anyone on eBay, buyers and sellers, should have a dedicated bank account that shields their normal everyday bank account from fraud.

For buyers: open a debit account.  By doing this, any potential loss is limited to the balance in the account.  Keep a low balance and top it up when you know you are going to buy something, OR, transfer money into the account when necessary.

For sellers:  open a debit account and link it for Managed Payments.  If you get too much money in that account you simply spend the money OR transfer it to another account.  Having a dedicated account for your eBaying will help you keep track of your transactions for tax/accounting purposes.

Message 64 of 118
Latest reply

The real issue is not your bank account itself but the actual information disclosed.
Your full name, passport number, drivers licence number, bank account number, email address, residential address combined can be used to commit various types of fraud.

Message 65 of 118
Latest reply

Oh, I forgot, you have also already disclosed your mobile phone number.
Mobile and email phishing will be enhanced when the scammer also knows your bank account  details (prefix also discloses which bank you have the account).

Message 66 of 118
Latest reply

@techburble wrote:

The real issue is not your bank account itself but the actual information disclosed.
Your full name, passport number, drivers licence number, bank account number, email address, residential address combined can be used to commit various types of fraud.

you don’t have to give your passport and drivers licence details . . . it’s an either/or thing.

Have you ever used a cheque?  Bank account number on the cheque, account name on the cheque, signature on the cheque.

I have used cheque’s for over 40 years and not once had the information used in a nefarious way.

Spoiler
I think many people would get themselves into a real tiz if I posted here how to find some personal identifying information about another person . . . perfectly legal, publicly available, computer searchable . . . and not known about by many people.

I won’t say what information this is, or where/how to get it, but believe me when I say that people who are concerned about giving info to eBay would be outraged that a government maintained and regularly updated database is publicly available and is available because it is legislated that it must be publicly available.

I sure do hope many members concerned about giving info to eBay have given thought to the information they are freely giving already, and not to eBay but to complete strangers who buy from them.

Spoiler
think about it, you sell an item and package it up for sending.  You put your name, return address and mobile number on the package and you sign the hazardous waste declaration. Four pieces of information!

If you are really worried about giving out identifying information:
- don’t include a business card with the item
- don’t put your name on the package, put your eBay ID
definitely do not put your mobile number on the package
- don’t give your mobile number to the buyer

- don’t put a street address, get a PO Box
- don’t use your normal signature on the declaration, have a signature distinctively different form your real signature
- don’t get extra cover as you have to give your phone number

Message 67 of 118
Latest reply

Ebay's stupid new policy amounts to 'If you don't drive and you don't travel overseas, you can't sell on ebay.' The only-occasional ebay seller will have zero interest in jumping through the hoops and costs of getting and maintaining a passport just for the sake of selling on ebay. This is continued (and in this case, needless) discrimination against poorer people. Ebay, fix your garbage policy by at least accepting some more identification.

Message 68 of 118
Latest reply

Any Government issued 18+ or ID Card is recognisd and accepted.

Message 69 of 118
Latest reply

"I am pretty sure the name of the ebay account holder  and that of the bank account have to match"

100% correct , If they do you will have seamless activity . If they don't then you wont .

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 70 of 118
Latest reply