Seller issue

I recently sold a sewing machine to a buyer and clearly showed the accessories that went with it and stated no refunds.  I started it at a low price $50 because I wanted to sell it which attracted a lot of bidders.  Even though I just wanted a simple pick up, this one particular bidder was dead set on having it shipped to her so I agreed to cooperate with her sending a courier (as expected it was a pain as I had to wait at home for days for them to turn up) .  So she gets the machine for an absolute bargain and then downloads a manual which tells her that it should have more attachments.  She wants a refund.  I go looking for the attachments and find them (I'd forgotten I had them).  However I realise that the attachments would have gotten my item a much better price had I listed them.  In the meantime she's unpacked the items an tells me how she's spent so much time cleaning it up (it was fine when I sent it).  I don't really want it back now as a) I don't really have the time to deal with waiting around for a courier to deliver it back to me and b) it's not really in the same condition anymore as she's unpacked it and been fiddling with it.  I offer to send her the extra attachments for $60 incl postage.  She says no so I say $50 (still an absolute bargain but it seems nothing is going to make her happy at this stage).   I feel as though I've done everything right and bent over backwards to accommodate her but her last messge was pretty angry and  she is going to lodge a complaint.  Not sure what I've done wrong here?  

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seller issue

As far as I am aware, the fact the item is listed as used, means it is not expected to be in new condition and  therefore full accessories are not a given.

As your listing description states that accessories are as shown, your buyer is only entitled to what you have shown,  not what was included in the original purchase.

If your buyer opens an not as described case, personally I would argue they have received exactly what they have purchased.

I would not be accepting a return and I would not be offering any discount.

If the buyer leaves neg FB,  deal with that when and if it occurs.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seller issue

What have you done wrong?

Well, your buyer had, I think, the right to expect the attachments that went with the machine – unless you specifically stated in the listing that the attachments which came with the machine were NOT included. 

A reasonable person would expect the machine to have all of the bits and pieces that it had originally in the absence of a clear statement to the contrary. The photo of the attachments that you did include doesn’t (in my view) convey that all of the other attachments were not included.

Trying to get what amounts to an extra transaction with that buyer is not on. Were you planning on giving eBay the FVF for the extra $60 you wanted? If not, that’s another issue (fee avoidance).

Were I you, I would send the attachments in a tracked satchel, apologise to the buyer, and cop the postage amount. Others on eBay may have a different view.

The above is purely my view as a buyer, observer, and offerer of opinions.

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Firstly,  I didn't realise there were missing attachments when I listed the item. 

Secondly, I clearly  stated 'attachments as shown' with a photo of said attachments. 

Thirdly, if I don't sell something on ebay, they don't get a fee.  They already took their cut of my listing.  

Fourthly, if she hadn't launched into abuse I would have sent it to her for free.  Pays to be polite.  

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

As far as I am aware, the fact the item is listed as used, means it is not expected to be in new condition and  therefore full accessories are not a given.

As your listing description states that accessories are as shown, your buyer is only entitled to what you have shown,  not what was included in the original purchase.

If your buyer opens an not as described case, personally I would argue they have received exactly what they have purchased.

I would not be accepting a return and I would not be offering any discount.

If the buyer leaves neg FB,  deal with that when and if it occurs.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Next time you sell something that has attachments - have a squiz around the house to make sure you round up the ones that have gone walkabout - let's face it you can't really use them now!

If the item had been used a lot some people might expect a few things to go missing but you specified barely used so it's reasonable to expect all the bits and bobs.

One way to protect yourself next time is mention it may not have all the pieces/ manual and put as is in the ad.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

I read different, photos show what is included as stated in the listing. Buyer asks for other items that come with it from the factory but where not included or shown in the photos. 

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

You did it all ok.  

Until, you tried to rip them and Ebay off for the extra $60.   You should have just left it at thats what I have listed, thats all you get.   But instead you try to make extra $'s.

I'm hoping she opens a case and wins.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Note I didn't resort to emotive words like she did:  "disgusting" "your dirt" "will not tolerate your behaviour" "you have no morals", nor was it necessary to say that the item was 'dirty' when it wasn't.   I would have been happy to send the accessories her for free but now I just don't want to work it out at all.  Frankly I can't see what Ebay can do to me, they have to wait for me to sell something else to deduct it from my payout and given their extortionate fees these days it's not really worth it anyway.  

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Theres no mention on how the transaction for the extra items would have been processed so could have easily been listed on ebay as far as we know.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

She got exactly what she paid for, and she can't expect accessories that weren't shown or listed.      Keep her messages of abusive language for when/ if she opens a case.

And to top it all off, I would list those accessories for $60, but block her from buying.

But that's just me - do what you want.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply