Looking for some help when PO lost parcels

Hi, friends 

I am looking for some advice in regarding to posting issues as I am relatively new to eBay.

I statrted a small eBay selling buisness about Apr 2017, and after almost a year I could see the trend is going well (For now It is very common for me to post 1 or 2 parcels everybusiness day)

I use Post office from the day I formally started, I would say I never had a problem like missing parcels not even delays til Feb 2018. 

This month is totally a nighmaire to me, til 27th I posted about 30 parcels and 6 get missing, no need to mention for delays. 

I didn't insured or even required signatures as it would limit my margin (My profitabiltiy is already quite limited.) Those just get missing, there is one express 500 grams satchel along with 2 regular boxes directly disappeared after my LPO collected, no further update after one week.

And I have to bouncing between PO and my furious customers, offering some free gifts or bounces to them to try to calm them down.  

I wonder if some of you actually have similar experience or just me?? Any advice to handle this? If this kind of situation kept just for 2 months then I am down... 

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Looking for some help when PO lost parcels

@lm-entertainmentwrote:

have you lodged cases with Australia Post's my support / case platform? you can lodge cases on there with the tracking numbers for delivery issues / delays / lost items. 

https://auspost.com.au/portal/#/login

you can then take the case number and send a message to them via facebook (as previously suggested), twitter, or another form of social media and they'll usually act on them pretty quickly. 

I recommed you follow this advice - it's not clear to me if you're using letters or parcels for your standard postage, but looking at your completed listings, I am guessing parcels mostly, maybe not for the boxes if you flatten them, but regular parcels should have tracking even without extra cover or SOD.

The express parcel obviously will have tracking, and the fact that there's been no scan events since lodgement suggest an Aus Post issue (I don't think there's a problem with your box listing. I don't really know why people would buy them, but you have made no attempt that I can see to try and fool people about what they're getting, quite the opposite, so I'd be surprised if your buyers didn't know what they were buying). 

Advise your buyers that you are lodging formal inquiries with Australia Post, ask them if they would please wait a few extra days so that you can try and find out more information, double check that their delivery address is 100% correct, and reassure them that you will provide further options if Australia Post can't locate the packages (you'll likely be forced to anyway, so better to show them you're going to willingly). For any tracked packages Aus Post can't locate / deliver, ask them to compensate you (they can pay up to $50, plus cost of postage for tracked but uninsured parcels), as that should help reduce the losses if you can get compensation.

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

Am I missing something here? Why would anyone buy an empty box (no indication of size either in the description), and pay $25????

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Maybe to give a counterfeit item the look of authenticity for a better sale?

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

@egglesdtpwrote:

Am I missing something here? Why would anyone buy an empty box (no indication of size either in the description), and pay $25????

for camera lenses, the specs of the lens would be shown on the box, so actual box dimensions are not required in the listing.  If my canon lens has the same specs as shown on the box it will fit in the box.

For collectables, having the box can make a huge difference in the value of the item.  However, the OP’s boxes are canon camera lens boxes.  No mention of including the internal foam or moulded cardboard, just the box . . . . . probably unfolded to send as flat item.

If I was selling a camera with lens and I already had the original boxes I would ask a bit more for the item, but I wouldn’t buy the boxes just so I could include them in the listing.  Certainly, having the box for a camera lens would not add $25 value to a lens listing.  I’d buy camera manuals, but not boxes.

On many of these lens boxes the serial number of the lens is included on the barcode sticker.  So, if I had a lens to sell and I did buy a box from a seller just to enhance my item, the buyer of my lens with box would easily be able to see that the box the lens comes in is not the original box for that lens.

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

Is there any collectable value to them? Genuine question, for the OP or sir sales as it's obviously not my area, but packaging can sometimes have its own value for various reasons, even if just to a small but dedicated crowd. I've known people who hung on to the oddest things (to me, anyway), always saying "it'll be worth something one day". Sometimes it's just an indulgence in nostalgia or a cataloguing thing. o.O
Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

.. or what's that other word digi? hoarding? Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

good morning digi.

When I used to sell lenses on another ID I would ask a higher price on Buy-Now listings for lenses with original packaging, but this would include the cardboard or foam inserts and not simply a box that let a lens free-ball all over the place IYKWIM.  For lenses that were auctioned, I would include ‘+box’ in the title as a way of ensuring that bidders would know that the item would include the box.

I have plenty of empty lens boxes here.  This is partly because I didn’t include the boxes in sales I made to schools when the lens was affixed to a camera when I sold them, and I would hang on to the boxes in case I bought an eBay item that did not include the box for a lens.

When photographers, both amateur and professional, carry multiple lenses around they do not carry them in their boxes.  Many camera bags have soft padding and all that is needed to protect the lens is a mount cap and a lens cap.  When Canon sell cameras with bundled lenses they usually include a soft pouch to put the lens in.  Boxes are very cumbersome to use to protect lenses due to them being much larger than the actual lens.

As far as lens boxes being collectable, I wouldn’t think so . . . . . . but then again, I have seen empty/flattened breakfast cereal boxes listed for prices much higher than when purchased new (and full of cereal) so what would I know!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STAR-WARS-vintage-C3PO-Empty-food-Cereal-box-Trading-card-offer-USA-1983...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vita-Brits-Pat-Cash-Tennis-TV-cereal-box-Australian-issue-1986-/11275601...

Spoiler
I come from a large family so we went through plenty of cereal.  We had drawers full of those little trinkets that would come inside the cereal boxes.  I mean, we had hundreds of them over the years growing up.  Those little trinkets can now get good money on eBay as collectables.

FD196159-5B27-4A36-8D69-4817A434A6C8.jpeg

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

@lm-entertainmentwrote:

.. or what's that other word digi? hoarding? Smiley LOL

I've actually been accused of verging on hoarder status, but the thing is, I have no particular attachment at all to the stuff, I'm just really lazy and let things accrue until I do a big cleanout. Smiley Embarassed Smiley LOL Plus, some stuff I have because other people seem to think I should be sentimental about it. (When I was young, a close relative passed and I was gifted all these things from their house people thought I'd like to hold on to. Op shop mix n' match crockery and cutlery - i.e. stuff they had no real sentimental attachment to either, just bought out of necessity, while books, albums, and such (the stuff I really would have liked) went goodness knows where. 😕 

I'm nowhere near as bad as this person I used to know - they weren't just an "everything's collectible" person, but an "everything's useful if it's cheap enough" kind of person, too (they bought every kind of imaginable rubbish on clearance you can think of, especially if it was branded with a TV show in some way - a plain notepad? no need for that, but a RRP$5 notepad discounted to 20c and 'Home & Away" slapped on it? Score! They had a full set of their own teeth, but bought denture cleaning tablets because they had a clearance sticker on them, saying 'they'll come in handy one day'. Said tablets sat atop the fridge for years, unopened). I can laugh about it now, but I also had a full on argument with them once because I said that in a post-apocalyptic world, where people are just fighting for survival on a daily basis, Toranas (while a very nice car) would not retain their "collectible" value and still sell for tens of thousands of dollars, even in non-working condition. They maintained that Toranas will always be worth up to 90k, no matter what. I just...couldn't even Smiley Surprised

We no longer speak. (True story, but that argument isn't the sole reason, though it's very nearly reason enough. Smiley LOL). 

@sirsales. Cereal box collectibles are different, tho! I still have all the Lion King stuff that came with the Kellogs cornflakes back in the early 90's. I don't even like corn flakes, but I had to have the little Rafiki in the meditative pose, the yellow plastic spoon with Simba on the handle - that stuff will be worth a goldmine one day. Or, at least $10, anyway. Smiley Very Happy

(PS many thanks for the extra info 🙂 - sounds like whatever value they do have is kind of on the negligible side, particularly in terms of collectibility). 

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

haha that's actually really funny. a shame about the stuff you actually wanted though and ended up who-knows-where. 

we have a family friend who is on the compulsive-hoarder scale - as in, can't live in their own house and is renting out other people's sheds to store things. her husband basically lives away from the house because they can't live in it and no one can fit in her car except her. i don't understand how people can live like that - but obviously it's a disorder. when you can't cook or eat in your own house cause there's no room, that's when it's beyond a joke :]

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

@ivansnow19630wrote:

Hi, friends 

I am looking for some advice in regarding to posting issues as I am relatively new to eBay.

..., I would say I never had a problem like missing parcels not even delays til Feb 2018. 

This month is totally a nighmaire to me, til 27th I posted about 30 parcels and 6 get missing, no need to mention for delays. 

I didn't insured or even required signatures as it would limit my margin (My profitabiltiy is already quite limited.) Those just get missing, there is one express 500 grams satchel along with 2 regular boxes directly disappeared after my LPO collected, no further update after one week.

And I have to bouncing between PO and my furious customers, offering some free gifts or bounces to them to try to calm them down.  

I wonder if some of you actually have similar experience or just me?? Any advice to handle this? If this kind of situation kept just for 2 months then I am down... 

Thanks

I've never had your experience, but in reverse, we went through a time when all our mail deliveries seemed to lag well behind other people's. For example when a friend sent invites out, we didn't get ours till a week later than others in the neighbouring suburbs, even though all were sent together.

I got fed up & ended up writing an email. Look online at the Aust post website & there is some section where you can contact them.

But before you do, write down details. Date things were posted, where they were posted, where they were going to etc

Aust post will send you a big envelope of documentation to fill out so they can investigate. You can also complain in person at your local post office where you normally post the things off, but make sure you also complain to head office as I  assume a local branch would then be approached by their bosses about the complaint.

Something is very wrong. 6 parcels missing out of 30 is too many, almost unbelievable.

I have never struck that at all with Aust post. It is not typical.

It also unfortunately brings to mind scamming by buyers as if you have no tracking, they only have to say a thing hasn't arrived & who is to prove otherwise?

Complain to Aust post formally but also put your prices up so you can cover tracking. See if that miraculously makes any difference.

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply